Video Files on Forum ×

Startling discovery for CZ fans

Jokeyman123

Although I have a huge inventory of Casios, being the equipment hoor I am, I just purchased 2 Alesis Fusion 8HD's for restoration, and restore them I did (I am....JOKEYMAN!!! The startling discovery-keep in mind this is a sampler too....someone duplicated many Casio CZ tones for this-thumbing through sounds I installed-really nice collection. This is quite a tribute to Casio-but then, I can't reveal who, but I think someone on the Fusion development team is one of our own Casio guys here. Might be where these sounds came from, I really don't know-there were several sound designers who worked on the Fusion. 

• Like 2

Just found out-a fellow programmer named mastropiero had developed these years back specifically for the Fusion. He sampled these from his CZ-1, and these sound fantastic, forgot what a CZ can do in the right hands-or brain. I can't convert these to other sample formats-the Fusion saves these in a proprietary format that is almost impossible to dis-assemble. I can record a few of these and upload as mp3 examples if anyone is interested, I will have to get mastropiero's permission first, since this was his original sample/programming. Strange how that might work, I am wondering if this might be reaching into unchartered "legal" territory on a public forum-even if he is OK with it-posting someone else's samples of a sampled CZ....?? I guess if VST's are copying older music machines, and even Behringer is cloning many of the early analog machines for purchase-I guess uploading a few CZ "tones" here would be OK, even as someone else's samples? whew!

• Like 2

It's kind of a dodgy ground when it comes to samples. If the samples were taken from presets in a commercially available instrument, the person who sampled them can't claim outright copyright because anyone with access to the commercially available instrument can also use those sounds. However, if the person sampling the sound also modifies the samples so that they are different, but still recognisable as originating from the original presets, then they might be able to claim copyright. Kind of similar to how Eddie Van Halen can't claim copyright to the Oberheim "Jump" patch, but he CAN claim copyright for the chord/ melody progression he created with it. Or from another perspective, someone creating custom patches for a synth can claim copyright to those custom patches because it's their own unique work and not available with the the standard instrument's presets.

I guess if these CZ samples were recorded from custom CZ patches, then yes, they could be copyrighted. If they were record directly from the standard CZ patches/ presets, then I think it's highly unlikely that any copyright claims would hold up.

So I guess if mastropiero doesn't mind-legalities aside, I still respect his work...I suppose it would do no harm to at least record these and save as mp3's. Not that this is a terribly useful thing to do since others have CZ's here, and there are VST's that can create CZ type sounds-just though it might be interesting for anyone who is just getting started programming their CZ's, to hear what can be done-these are all samples of the CZ-I checked the Fusion file structures as to hw these were created and saved-the fusion saves samples as "AFS" files-another incompatible file format, as if we needed any more-take a look at Awave studio-to get a rough idea of just how many sample formats there are...ouch!

• Like 2

A few years back when I was experimenting/ learning how to sample with my XW-G1, I ran my CZ 101 into it and did a rush job of sampling one of the CZ's strings patches. I didn't do a very good job, however, when I played the sample back using the G1, it sounded great! I also did a similar experiment with my FZ-20M sampler, and when I played it back it sounded huge!

16 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

I guess if VST's are copying older music machines, and even Behringer is cloning many of the early analog machines for purchase-I guess uploading a few CZ "tones" here would be OK, even as someone else's samples? whew!

If Bheringer did that well I'm a sucker for vintage in a new coat. Sorry C. 😁

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah I don't think this violates the law.  It's like emulating old Amiga games.  The amiga library from the way back machine Internet archive tosec is definitely legit and because comercially sounds for this instrument are not being sold, or maybe a few people are offering sounds, it's pretty legal.  Check out the mame projoects.  No one can get access to the games so it's pretty much legal.  The copyright rules of 75 years force neglect of many trends that existed.  It's like looking for free math ciricuulum.  There isn't much on the free internet.  Mit open course ware, ocw is one site, but as long as you get Amiga forever any fiiles you come across for that are legal.  Dr T's KCS was excellent and the only program that comes close to it is Band in a box.

I believe as long as these are posted with the understanding these are only for personal use, and not for sale (we are not allowed to post anything for sale here as part of the Forum rules) I guess it would be OK. The moderators reserve full right to remove any of my posts if they decide I (or anyone else here) is violating any of the agreed forum rules-keeps the forum focused on accurate information and support, rather than getting into silly "flame" wars about any particular keyboard. I can only imagine way back-before synths and other keyboards-perhaps during the neolithic age....could have gone like this....

Ugh...this rock..only make one tone! Every time I hit with stick...sticks break...drop on foot...too heavy....user manual....not good-write on tree, tree burn down, now what I do????? How clean bird poo off rock...ruins sound....I bring back to Rock and Stick Centre, tell me warranty no good...now I stuck!!!! And pterodactyl flew off with my stick-now only have one....