Video Files on Forum ×

PX-5S outputting stream of Sys Ex data??

gogoriviera

The look of the position numbers suggests that there is clock information being sent. Do you have logic set up as a slave device and px-5s set up as master.  Just guessing but it looks like logic might be reading or trying to read clock information from the px. Are you playing a phrase or the sequencer on the px? 

For what it's worth, it's a Non-Commercial sysex packet.  That doesn't really help because we don't know what it's trying to do.

(EDIT) One other thing, the positions look like measures, beats and durations of notes.  Again, indicating some kind of timing or playback.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/16/2021 at 5:00 PM, Brad Saucier said:

Did you touch anything on the keyboard after starting the recording?  Quite a few things on the PX can send SysEx messages.  

On a related note, I'm trying to send sysex messages to try to control the patch LFO parameters in real-time. However, I can't quite decipher the implementation manual. I think I'm about 80% there, but I could use an example. I tried to coax the PX to send one through my MIDI monitor so I could try to parse it, but it wouldn't share it's secrets. Do you have a specific example of an function on the PX that will result in sending a sysex?

I'm gonna guess that since the OP hasn't responded since Feb, we'll highjack the thread a little.

It's pretty complicated - at least how the editor communicates.  For example, I want to adjust only the LFO Pitch Rate from 0 to 1.  Two sets of SYSEX strings are sent for this one parameter change:

SYSX: F0 44 17 02 7F 01 03 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 35 00 00 00 00 00 41 F7

SYSX: F0 44 17 02 7F 01 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 4B 01 00 00 00 00 01 F7

In the first string, the hex value 41 is from having moved the dial up +1.  This value will start at 40 (equals relative zero or in reality 64) and increase or decrease by 1.  Since my display is in hex, a value of 10 looks like 4A.  The values can go up or down 64 units which means the value ranges from 00 (or relative -64) to 7F (or relative +63)

The second string seems to be an "I'm done changing the value for LFO Pitch Rate" kind of thing.  I think the messages are always paired.  An initiation - change in value, and then a final or conclusion after the change.

What I'm saying is that you'd have to know the string pair for each parameter to figure out all the messages.  I've had a very hard time trying to figure out the MIDI implementation manual.  It's like it gives 60 percent of the info and leaves out those few details that would allow you to write proper code.  But that aside, maybe those two strings will help you tie back the process to everything.

14 hours ago, Choppin said:

I'm gonna guess that since the OP hasn't responded since Feb, we'll highjack the thread a little.

It's pretty complicated - at least how the editor communicates.  For example, I want to adjust only the LFO Pitch Rate from 0 to 1.  Two sets of SYSEX strings are sent for this one parameter change:

SYSX: F0 44 17 02 7F 01 03 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 35 00 00 00 00 00 41 F7

SYSX: F0 44 17 02 7F 01 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 4B 01 00 00 00 00 01 F7

In the first string, the hex value 41 is from having moved the dial up +1.  This value will start at 40 (equals relative zero or in reality 64) and increase or decrease by 1.  Since my display is in hex, a value of 10 looks like 4A.  The values can go up or down 64 units which means the value ranges from 00 (or relative -64) to 7F (or relative +63)

The second string seems to be an "I'm done changing the value for LFO Pitch Rate" kind of thing.  I think the messages are always paired.  An initiation - change in value, and then a final or conclusion after the change.

What I'm saying is that you'd have to know the string pair for each parameter to figure out all the messages.  I've had a very hard time trying to figure out the MIDI implementation manual.  It's like it gives 60 percent of the info and leaves out those few details that would allow you to write proper code.  But that aside, maybe those two strings will help you tie back the process to everything.

Thanks, Choppin! I think that was the secret decoder ring I needed. The first sysex now makes sense, on paper, anyway. I'm going to try sending it later this week. 

The second one is strange. It claims to be a system parameter, but I haven't found it in the MIDI document tables. I'll have to see if I can get away with not sending it.

My grand plan is to send a CC out, through the MIDI Event Processor, convert CC to sysex, and send it back into the PX-5S.

Edit: After Choppin mentioned it, I realized I did totally hijack OP's thread. It should have been a different post. Sorry, Gogoriviera! I hope you got your problem resolved!

Hi Jaspeter,

Page 56 in the MIDI manual seems to list all of the parameters for LFO.   At position 19 in the first string 35 00 (in MSB LSB order 0035 )  is the parameter for the LFO pitch rate.  I still can't figure out the second string. 4B 01 (or 014b) that ID has to do with the pedal parameter data entry but I don't think that's what it's applying to.