Video Files on Forum ×

Controlling a second keyboard

bob green

Hi all,

This is probably really basic, but I can't wrap my head around how....

I want to use slider #1 on the Px5S to control the volume on my Nord Electro 3, without affecting the sound on the Px5S. The Nord's midi implementation says that it will respond to CC7 messages, but I can't figure out how to get the slider to send them. That's pretty much it, I know it should be easy (or an impossibilty.....hope not!) but I can't make it work and any assisstance would be greatly appreciated!

You have 4 zones to work with on the PX-5S.  Each zone is a fully configurable MIDI controller, for either, or all, internal and external sound generators.  That includes the sliders. 

You can set up a zone exclusively for use with the Nord, turning off the output of that zone to internal PX-5S sound generator.  Press edit>stage setting>zone>midi>generator out OFF, for the zone you want controlling only the Nord.  

Next, set a slider to control CC7.  Press edit>stage setting>common>slider edit>target>CC07 

Since a slider can control all 4 zones at once, you will need to disable that slider in all zones except your dedicated Nord zone.  Press edit>stage setting>zone>controller>slider enable>OFF, for all zones except the one you want. 

Use the zone buttons left of the screen to change zones while in the edit menus.  The screen will display Z1, Z2, Z3, or Z4 to indicate current zone. 

Exit to home screen and press write stage setting to save. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Thanks! And it does help, partly....what I'm really looking for is the ability to have, say, a string or organ sound on the Nord, and to pull that up on slider 1 to layer with the Px's piano sound, over the whole range of the keyboard. If I turn the generator out to OFF, I can play the Nord but obviously not the Px's piano. Another wrinkle seems to be that, while I can raise or lower the volume of the Nord with the slider configured in this way, when I pull the slider all the way down (000) I still hear output from the Nord, albeit lower in volume. Any ideas?

The idea of zones is to setup the number of them that you need for layers and splits.  The great thing about the 5S, it can do it with a mix of external and internal sounds.  In your case, you want to layer the Nord with a PX-5S piano sounds.  There you can turn on a second zone on the 5S as your layered sound.  Configure that zone so it does not affect the Nord by turning off MIDI out in the same menu you turned off generator out in my previous post.

As far as still hearing sound from the Nord with the slider down, that could be any number of reasons.  Are you sure other zones are not causing the sound?