Video Files on Forum ×

Control knob issues

cjfox

Hi everyone, I've searched the forum but have not seen any other problem like mine, hope someone has some wisdom. I've had my psx3000 for 3 years (no more warrantee) and I have an issue with the control knobs. When I play vigorously, the control knobs are activated momentarily and reset any saved setting to what ever the knobs are currently set to. I discovered this through a user registration (setting) I made with a piano/string layer. I wanted the string volume to be controlled by Knob #1 and the only available setting gives you layer volume on #1 and fine tune on #2. Much to my dismay if I played loudly, Knob #2 would suddenly activate and spontaneously change the pitch to what ever setting the knob was currently at. I took the unit apart and sprayed the pots with pot cleaner, but it did not make much difference. I've been very careful to keep knob #2 at it's top dead centre position these days. Any one have any great solutions?

Contact cleaner? Of course, this assumes you want to do a little surgery. Vigorously exercising the knobs could also "clean them up" a bit, but it seems an actual spray cleaner is usually needed. My home stereo amp has a grouchy volume knob which requires cleaner about once a year.

This has the 'touch sensitive" buttons-that activate when you touch them-that light up when your fingers touch them?  If so, I suspect this might be causing the problem. Somehow, this function has become overly sensitive to your movements on the keys-and might be interfering with the knob functions-as if you are accessing one of the touch-sensitive buttons-and possibly resetting the knobs electronically, as ifyou are accessing one of the button functions and changing a setting. Just a guess.

And how to fix this if it's so? Can you adjust the touch sensitivity of these buttons-or re-calibrate the touch sensitivity function? The PX560 touchscreen needed to be re-calibrated by one user here, and there is a way to re-calibrate the screen. I'm thinking out loud-might this be what is needed here somehow, if that is what is wrong. Without studying this schematically or physically-I don't know if there is a particular touch-senstive component or board controlling this specific function, that might have worked its way loose-a loose or bad connection in this control circuitry, if there is a dedicated IC board section for this, could cause this type of malfunction. The PX560 has a separate IC board assembly for its 3 control knobs-installed physically separate forom the rest of the 560 boards, I can only go by what I've seen inside my Casios. If the function is in the mainboard or CPU I would think it isn't but could be....a re-calibration. Maybe someone from Casio will see this post, and recommend what specifically can be done. Like Roseanna Danna used to say "its alway's-a sumthin!"

roseanna dana.jpg

Edited by Jokeyman123

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Yes I took it apart and cleaned the pots with spray cleaner. No change. There is no light that comes on, it just shows the knobs are activated on the main screen, flashing for a moment when I play hard, and there is no easy re-calibration to them. (at least as far as I can tell) 

Could it be static electricity ? A plastic surface is usually easy to get charged with static energy.
Does your electric outlet have protected earth / grounding ?

Static charge sometimes causes touch sensitive knobs to go on their own. It might be the case. It happens often.
But I dont know how to solve this in this specific case.  

Since I dont know the electric diagram of the keyboard I would be very cautious before connecting any part to protected earth or grounding.

Try playing on a different underground (wood / stone / concrete). Maybe it helps .. ????