Video Files on Forum ×

Does the S3000 recognise half-pedaling?

pax-eterna

I've just tried both a Yamaha and Roland sustain pedal (both do half-pedaling) and I tried both polarity settings on both pedals and neither work with it? These two formats usually work on pretty much everything, not seemingly the S3000 though?

What half-pedaling pedal DOES work with it?

Thanks

The CT-X5000 supports a half damper pedal on the expression pedal input. 

The PX-S3000 will probably work too.

Half damper pedals have a stereo jack. 

Inputs for expression and half damper pedals are stereo inputs. 

The Roland DP-10 pedal works with a half damper function on the CT-X5000's expression pedal input.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Casio Key said:

The Roland DP-10 pedal works with a half damper function on the CT-X5000's expression pedal input.

Thanks but I don't have a CTX5000 ;) and I actually need the expression pedal jack for, well, an expression pedal :)

I appreciate what you were trying to show though nonetheless!

It's fine I'll either just stick with the old Casio "switch" type I have or see if I can find a cheap SP-34 - they are near $100 down here.

29 minutes ago, pax-eterna said:

Thanks but I don't have a CTX5000 ;) and I actually need the expression pedal jack for, well, an expression pedal :)

It's fine I'll either just stick with the old Casio "switch" type I have or see if I can find a cheap SP-34 - they are near $100 down here.

But the required setting of the pedal function on the PX-S3000 is the same as on the CT-X5000.

Edited by Casio Key

1 hour ago, pax-eterna said:

The SP-34 is not an expression pedal.

13 hours ago, Casio Key said:

8 hours ago, pax-eterna said:

In no time, you said you wanted an expression pedal.

It is so much that @Brad Saucier and @Joe Muscara recommended the SP-34 for you, which is precisely the pedal that has a half damper function.

m8, you have TOTALLY misunderstood this conversation - I suspect English is not your first language - It was about whether the sustain pedal jack could use half-pedaling devices.

I already advised  that I was using the Exp Jack FOR AN EXPRESSION PEDAL!!! I acknowledged the SP-34 but also wrote it was too expensive here (well over $120).

Brad actually answered it way way back and i was fine with that. I have a standard Casio sustain pedal already!

So before getting into a "huff" about your advice not being listened to, or feel you have been slighted, READ the thread and stop being so enamoured with your own responses.

Sorry to be blunt, but sometimes it seems, it is necessary!!

Hi Can I just check one thing about the Casio PX-S3000 and the SP 34?  I’ve read in the manual that this pedal produces off/half-pedal/full pedal but in the forum I have read that it does continuous damping. Which is true? As a pianist, ‘continuous’ would be useful when I’m teaching with the Casio; off/1/2 on/full, not so useful. Many thanks😊

On 10/13/2021 at 8:12 PM, Patrick3 said:

Hi Can I just check one thing about the Casio PX-S3000 and the SP 34?  I’ve read in the manual that this pedal produces off/half-pedal/full pedal but in the forum I have read that it does continuous damping. Which is true? As a pianist, ‘continuous’ would be useful when I’m teaching with the Casio; off/1/2 on/full, not so useful. Many thanks😊

@Patrick3 I can confirm that it has only 3 states: off, half and full. If you play lots of acoustic piano, or you are used to keyboards that have more increments of damper, you'll really notice the difference. Not sure if any keyboard offers true continuous performance (like a real pano), but every Yamaha I've ever owned has at least 7 or 8 increments. That simulates half-pedaling fairly well.

There seems to be quite a bit of disconnect between threads obviously. I mentioned to Pax that the SP34 works as a 3 state half damper.

Pax you must not have seen my reply, as I never got any reply from you. You were concerned about buying an SP34 in case it didn't work.

I would strongly suggest buying one which frees up the individual expression for just that. You won't regret it!

Sorry...but unfortunately my only language is English, it would sometimes seem around here that I'm speaking jibberish 🙂

• 5 months later...

I know this is an older thread but want to make sure I understand since my s3000 is arriving tomorrow.  There are 3 jacks on the back.  Damper (1/4" jack), proprietary 3 pedal jack and the 1/4" Expression pedal jack.  I understand you and program the expression pedal as a half damper and the 3 pedal Casio will do it.  I also under stand the included pedal is just and on off, but with a normal pedal like Proline PSS2 does the half damp function work when plugged into the DAMPER PEDAL JACK?

5 minutes ago, rmgreg said:

but with a normal pedal like Proline PSS2 does the half damp function work when plugged into the DAMPER PEDAL JACK?

The damper pedal jack only accepts an on/off switch type pedal.  Quickly looking at the Proline specs, that's exactly what that pedal is, so it should work fine. 

Just now, Brad Saucier said:

The damper pedal jack only accepts an on/off switch type pedal.  

Thanks Brad.  Weird that some retailers are packaging it with a normal sustain pedal that does nothing different than the included pedal like here https://www.kraftmusic.com/casio-privia-px-s3000-digital-piano-black-key-essentials-bundle.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=cas-pxs3000bkke&gclid=CjwKCAjwrfCRBhAXEiwAnkmKmbgGAO4ZnLwppR0j62HUBKkewLWENBBepMHsiwBbykSu2Jb38xqjxBoC_jUQAvD_BwE

5 hours ago, rmgreg said:

Yes, you are correct that the pedal included in that package is a simple on/off switch like the little included Casio footswitch.  It's still a worthy part of a package deal as it's bigger and sturdier which will give it a feel that is closer to a regular piano pedal. I keep that little Casio footswitch in the case as an emergency backup, but I would never choose to use it as a sustain pedal if I could help it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've had my Px-S3000 for almost two years now and finally bought the SP-34 3-pedal unit for $99.

I should have bought it when I got the PX, it is a great unit and you don't have to "chase" a single pedal around or wonder where the heck it is while you are trying to focus on music. Excellent companion for the Casio keyboard.

• Like 3