Video Files on Forum ×

Recorded phrase is rendered incorrectly in DAW

Jay C

Hi

I have a modified version of a preset performance, that I want work on further in my DAW

From the performance I have made a (sequence) chain that triggers one phrase from the sequencer control track. Another phrase is triggered with phrase play/stop button.

I was able to transfer the chain (with the first phrase)!as a MIDI file to the DAW. But I also need the other phrase as well.

When I try to record the said phrase into the DAW, the phrase is rendered/recorded incorrectly in comparison with the original one

why is that happening?

any help is appreciated, thanks 😊 

Jay 🎹

2 hours ago, Jay C said:

why is that happening?

OK, update on my progress since I posted this. I think, and I would like to stress the word think, that I found the culprit, or a solution hopefully.

This problem was driving me mad ... :(

In addition to not recording the phrase correct, when I stopped the playback of the phrase on the G1 the notes would keep playing, and in order to stop that had to do a midi - > reset in my DAW each time. 😖

So, explanation so far is: I tried to record the midi from the phrase into my DAW using midi cable connected from the XW-G1 to my audio interface..

But when I disconnected the midi cables, and instead used a USB midi cable-connection, the DAW recorded the phrase as it should!

Could someone please explain to me why usb midi works and good old fashioned DIN midi cable doesn't? 

Thank you!

Jay 🎹

I am using a Steinberg UR22C and my DAW is Cubase AI 11.

I am wondering if I setup Cubase wrong?

In Cubase I am using a patch script file (from casio) for the software to easy access the different programs of the G1. But I don't think that it is the problem or ?

Perhaps the midi cables?

When I (disconnected the DIN midi cables from the synth and audio interface and)

connected the G1 directly to my laptop with a usb midi cable every worked out fine. ??

Have you looked over your midi settings. I know the XW-P1 allows for selecting mid usb or midi din for in/out data access-you can route different data on both at the same time, but you have to select the correct options from the midi screen. Might be that from the XW midi menu options, if you have both USB and DIN turned on for in/out midi access could be conflicting each other, especially since the software could be sending midi through-and if you also have the XW set with local on. The XWs are designed to be able to do both simultaneously-use both the DIN and USB midi ports to possibly connect and control 2 entirely different midi devices at the same time. Look over those XW midi settings in the menu selections, it is a bit complex IMO but gives alot of options for external midi control.