Video Files on Forum ×

creating a sound thats similar to the origional.

smiggell

hi folks, i always have trouble in this area, i can loose hours just layering trying to get the rought sound.

right now i'm trying to get the chords at the begining of 'all i want for xmas' (not the jangley bells but the chords) 

how do you guys do this? do you have a systematic way of aproching it?

any information would be appeciated

thanx in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you asking about the tones that will match-or the actual chords/progression? I listen to the bassline for chord progressions I don't recognize "by ear" immediately-match the bass/root tones first which is usually pretty easy with most pop music. if its tone-matching-remember this was done in a studio with specific equipment, samplers, possibly even the real acoustic instruments-real chimes instead of keyboard synth one for example, so it is challenging, although I'm pretty sure most production studio work is now in software and hardware synths, maybe even in somebody's home studio. I also find (not always but..) the less reverb the better, to bring out the clarity in sustained tones, which will get lost in reverb, which as an effect is-well the Phil Spector wall of sound,  which this cut reminds me of. i hear this, I hear a Ronnie Spector production. wow, look this up on wikipedia, I'm thinking these were real chimes. They were thinking Ronettes!