Video Files on Forum ×

SD/SDHC card Casio CDP 230R

Francesco89

Hi everyone, 

I bought an SD card (SDHC) for my CDP 230R but unfortunately it seems to be incompatible.

I have followed the instructions written in the manual of the piano "to only use SD or SDHC cards not exceeding 32 GB", but it is not working.

I see the error message "Err Format" 
when I try to format the card for the first time directly in the piano.

I have precisely bought this:

https://www.amazon.nl/-/en/dp/B08GYG6T12/?th=1

I am wondering if somebody had the very same issue if someone is able to share with me any solution; I thank you in advance for anything you can share 🙂

All the best 😉

Is your computer able to read the card? Have you formatted the card in your computer? If so, is it a Windows or a  Mac computer? Make sure the card is formatted to FAT32, and not "NTFS". From the factory, it should be FAT32, Windows standard for this size card.

I hope it is a genuine Sandisk, there are so many counterfeits on the market. I have used Sandisks in my Casios, no problem. Could be just a "glitch" too. Try it again.

Sandisk usually installs their software on the card which isn't needed by the Casios. Check with your computer-if you see their software on it you can delete it, or just format the card on the computer which will delete the Sandisk utility. Or copy the utility onto your computer if you think you might need it, then format.

if you suspect the card is a counterfeit-if you have weird problems with it on your computer-slow operation (this is a fast card), files appearing and disappearing-this is symptomatic of a counterfeit Sandisk SD card. I use CrystalDiskMark to test my cards if i think there is a bad thumb drive or SD or other card. It's a freeware small diagnostic program that runs on Windows computers, can detect if the card is counterfeit.

20 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Is your computer able to read the card? Have you formatted the card in your computer? If so, is it a Windows or a  Mac computer? Make sure the card is formatted to FAT32, and not "NTFS". From the factory, it should be FAT32, Windows standard for this size card.

I hope it is a genuine Sandisk, there are so many counterfeits on the market. I have used Sandisks in my Casios, no problem. Could be just a "glitch" too. Try it again.

Sandisk usually installs their software on the card which isn't needed by the Casios. Check with your computer-if you see their software on it you can delete it, or just format the card on the computer which will delete the Sandisk utility. Or copy the utility onto your computer if you think you might need it, then format.

if you suspect the card is a counterfeit-if you have weird problems with it on your computer-slow operation (this is a fast card), files appearing and disappearing-this is symptomatic of a counterfeit Sandisk SD card. I use CrystalDiskMark to test my cards if i think there is a bad thumb drive or SD or other card. It's a freeware small diagnostic program that runs on Windows computers, can detect if the card is counterfeit.

@Jokeyman123

I formatted the card before inserting it into the piano, but it didn't work.

The piano instruction manual tells me to format the card directly from the piano itself, but when I try to format, I get the "Err Format" error.

I'm trying with other SD cards, less "powerful", hoping to be able to solve in this way, maybe it's a compatibility problem .....

https://www.amazon.nl/gp/product/B003TKB33G

https://www.amazon.nl/gp/product/B008RDCD20

https://www.amazon.nl/gp/product/B003QJWYDS

Here at page 61 of the PDF you can read that the manual says to format the SD card directly from the piano 🙂

https://usermanual.wiki/Casio/CasioCdp230ROwnersManual590472.272659782/view

I have used 32GB cards in the CDP230-but i agree with Brad, try a smaller SD card. Try any other SD card-if it works, you know the card is either defective, or a counterfeit. Real 32GB Sandisks should be fine-I use these all the time, but I am careful not to buy a counterfeit card-or thumb drive. Unscrupulous vendors duplicate the labels and put them on defective or sub-standard cards-or fancy thumb drive cases-cards or thumb drives that would normally be rejected as defective-even worse, they alter the firmware so it looks like a 32GB or some other capacity that is large, and it really is only 1-2 GB or maybe even not that, or the memory chip is defective and it gets hidden by altering the formware. I've had experience with a few of these and thought my computers/keyboards were at fault until I discovered what the real problem was. I had to throw out 2 thumb drives like this. Even a real Sandisk SD card or thumb drive could be defective, but i have never run across a real one that was.