Video Files on Forum ×

key A# velocity problem

Jeshurun
Go to solution Solved by Brad Saucier,

hi there, 

i having using my px5s for a while now. just of recent i noticed the velocity response of key A#5 is weird. it responds well on light touch but then skips medium touch and goes on max.

when i googled it, i saw a forum discussion about the same issue, apparently i'm not aloneon this.. but i cant seem to find any solution

has anyone faced this challenge and is there any solution out there??

Depending on where you live, cans of compressed air can be purchased at places like office supply stores, computer stores, and online. 

in the meantime, try working that key and tilting the keyboard to its sides. It might work any debris out. 

just because it recurred for someone else doesn’t mean it will for you. Even if it does, it’s possible it happened to happen again and you can fix it yourself again. You don’t really have anything to lose by trying, except perhaps the cost of the compressed air cans. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Joe Muscara said:

Depending on where you live, cans of compressed air can be purchased at places like office supply stores, computer stores, and online. 

in the meantime, try working that key and tilting the keyboard to its sides. It might work any debris out. 

just because it recurred for someone else doesn’t mean it will for you. Even if it does, it’s possible it happened to happen again and you can fix it yourself again. You don’t really have anything to lose by trying, except perhaps the cost of the compressed air cans. 

Thanks for the encouragement man, I will get to working! 
I will post an update if I fix it

• Like 1

Welcome to the "Bb Velocity Issue" Club! Make sure to get your secret decoder ring.....

Seriously, one thing to try, which has worked for me on both my Px5s's, is to set the max volume for any zone that employs the offending note to 126 or lower. Since the note wants to sound out at full volume, this (seems) to prevent it from doing so. Not sure if this will affect your particular flavor of this issue, but it can't hurt to try.....

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This sounds like exactly the same problem I have with my aging PX-5S. Curious that this problem seems to be somewhat of a unique Bb issue on the PX-5S, and that it turns up after some passage of time…

I've discovered that the Ab next door has similar issues, too.

Neither of those keys are heavily used, at least with my playing style. Nevertheless, I'd still like to have them work properly!

• 4 months later...
30 minutes ago, Fernando Ramirez said:

Jeshurun, how did you fix it?

Well, I opened it up. every screw. Lifted the keys and swapped the grey rubber sensors. I must let you know that it has spoilt twice since then; I think this has to do with faulty build quality..

what I will recommend is simply to cap the general velocity at 110 or 113; that way you still have some dynamic range. 

• Like 1

Wow!! Ok, thanks for the advice!

8 minutes ago, Jeshurun said:

Well, I opened it up. every screw. Lifted the keys and swapped the grey rubber sensors. I must let you know that it has spoilt twice since then; I think this has to do with faulty build quality..

what I will recommend is simply to cap the general velocity at 110 or 113; that way you still have some dynamic range. 

Jeshurun, how did you fix it?

Edited by Fernando Ramirez

• 11 months later...

I'm having a variation of this on A over middle C.  Air blast worked for a minute.  I've tried the volume limit on the zone (I take it this means zone under stage settings).  That didn't work for me, but what did work was turning the velocity sensitivity on the tone (not anywhere in the Stage Setting) way down.  This limits expression but better than nothing.  It's like some preset voices I've heard on other pianos that are like soft hammers. 

Is there a global setting for zone volume that I don't know or have forgotten?   I tried master volume in the system settings generator section, no.  Changing velocity sensitivity in tone made the note silent, changing volume didn't make much difference.   Amp volume settings in the tone, not much difference. 
Anyway as it is I can pick a couple of settings like one acoustic and one rhodes setting and do this trick.