Video Files on Forum ×

“V” and “F” style organs?

Kyoto92

• 2 weeks later...

I am only guessing as I have no CTX models-but several other PX's. "V" may stand for Viscount-a 60's era combo organ similar to the Farfisa-which must be what the "F" stands for.  I think the Viscount was used by many English bands early on, most notably I think it was used on "House of the Rising Sun" by the Animals but it could have been something else.

Right, V would typically stand for Vox. Vox and Farfisa were the two most widely used transistor organs used in 60s pop. 

I don't have a CTX either, but looking at the tone list, there aren't too many to just go through and listen to, to see what comes closest. And right away, you can pretty much eliminate the ones which, by their name, would be based on other kinds of organs... i.e. I would say that ones that are NOT Vox or Farfisa would include  patches whose names include OD (overdrive typically not being associated with transistor organs), DP (I'm guessing Deep Purple),  Jazz, Perc, Gospel, Drawbar, click, 70s, pipe, chapel, theater, flute, or puff, so that eliminates over half of them right there.

9 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

I thought the CT-X line already had Vox and Farfisa organs presets.  Maybe they're under a different name, like electric organ?  

They are definitely NOT under names like F-ORGAN or V-ORGAN if they're in there. The listings don't show any name like that nor did I find them when scrolling through the presets. @Kyoto92would have to figure out which other organ sounds closest.

(I once saw a video of a guy playing one of those red keyboards and he managed to tweak it to sound like a 60s combo organ. I think I asked him how he did it, or maybe talked about it on the Keyboard Corner, but I don't recall where nor what the settings were.)

12 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

They are definitely NOT under names like F-ORGAN or V-ORGAN if they're in there. The listings don't show any name like that nor did I find them when scrolling through the presets. @Kyoto92would have to figure out which other organ sounds closest.

(I once saw a video of a guy playing one of those red keyboards and he managed to tweak it to sound like a 60s combo organ. I think I asked him how he did it, or maybe talked about it on the Keyboard Corner, but I don't recall where nor what the settings were.)

Yeah the red one is from the CT-S line which has both Vox ("V") and Farfisa ("F") style organs built into it. I tried using my headphones to listen more carfeully  and go tone by tone on my CT-X5000 but the only new thing a found is that the headphones out has a constant hiss in the background..

Kind of a shame that the CT-X5000 costs more but since the CT-S line came a bit after it has some nicer tones.

I'll keep you posted if I find something else. In the meantime all the electric organs sound kind of the same - a low-quality muffled B3-ish, with some EQ/DSP here and there.