Live performing with Casiotone CT-S1000V

I have spent 40 years of my work in marketing (20 years chief editor of Marketing & Kommunikation in Switzerland) and a musician and i would like to congratulate you for the perfect launch: Every element could go in the book of best marketing campaigns - with Rick as a new face of the brand - but a trusted face for all of us in the music industry. It was Hollywood pure.

I have ordered my casiotone last week and it should arrive next monday. I had my last big concert in Ostrava 2019 bevor the pandemic (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HxhA9HYQCc) and now i work on my new album and i am sure i will have great fun in the studio with my new singing instrument. May be the time of big openairs will soon come again - but at the moment i rather play with few friends on small events. And here is my problem: With all the arranger-keyboards from Yamaha, korg etc. it is easy to perform on stage. How easy will it be with the new instrument? I do not want to spend time with preparing each song and set. All i would need is a good tutorial video where i can see how to prepare the sounds and register to the banks so i can just push a knob, play chords with right hand, melody with left hand and sing. Thanks for help and all the best for the future JL

Can someone explain to me how it works here? I did try to approach with my idea of finding more easy video tutorials like Daniel Fisher does for sweetwater  not only the users of the this forum but also GM of Marketing Mike Martin . Can i also expect help from Casio-people or do you only trust to the swarm intelligence? I need next week easy guidelines how to perform on stage with my new singing casiotone. It is small and light weight - perfect for a gig next door. Please help Thanks JL

Jaromir, 

We will have tutorial videos coming. We will also be doing more live events where you can ask us questions directly. 

In regards to the CT-S1000V, what is your question specifically? To recall a registration is as simple as pressing the registration button, selecting your Bank 1-16 with the knob and choosing the specific registration 1-4 from the screen.

• Like 4

thank you Mike, my CT-S1000V should arrive soon i will check it all, DHL is on the way to me, i am looking forward.

Remark from a marketing-man/musician to a marketing-man/musician: The launch campaign with live event and testimonials from top-shots  brought definitely awareness. But i can imagine that that in the target-group are mostly average musician like me and they might all have problems with the change of paradigma in using the keyboard. With Yamaha, KORG, Rolands etc. it works the same way: choose style, customize you instruments and play. Here we have a different approach and a different USP with vocal synthesis - but still we need down to earth tutorial-videos to every aspect of the product. To ask customers to find answers in the community is not the real thing. I have asked in Web a user about the functionality of the bluetooth dongle and he wrote to me: it goes beyond my understanding. 

6 hours ago, Jaromir Loeffler said:

I have asked in Web a user about the functionality of the bluetooth dongle and he wrote to me: it goes beyond my understanding. 

Where did you ask this?  It doesn't sound like an answer we would give on this forum. 

The Bluetooth adapter allows audio input to the keyboard (for monitoring and sampling).  It also allows MIDI communication IN and OUT through BLE to a compatible device.

Brad

thanks and yes you are right - it was not an answer from the forum - it was a youtube video of a Casio user

But last night i have got my CT-S1000V and now i can report about my own experiences:

My first Impression:

-It looks great, small not heavy - exactly what i need to gig on small events with friends near home  

-Vocal synthesis is definitely innovative but i am not sure where and for what i can use it

-I will check now all the tones, rhythms and DSP-Effects, first impressions are positive

My first question bevor registering my setups: How and how far can i customize the the rhythm-sets: When i choose a blues - how can i put together slap bass, E-piano, funk guitar and groovy drums? Without fighting myself for hours through the manual (english is not my mother-tongue, we are german, french and Italian speaking). Or is it better to layer my sounds for setup? How many layers are possible? Thanks for Help!!!

I have a similar question.   I just picked up the ct-s1000v, and I'd like to use it for live performing.  I have this issue with my previous casio (and maybe I just don't know enough!), but is there a quick way to change tones?   Like in one song, I need go to from piano to flute to synth   If I have to do this via the wheel, it's going to take a LONG time.  Is there a better way to quickly preset the tones you need for a song?

Thanks ;)

For some reason, even though I've been on this site for 2 weeks, I still cannot post.  I have attempted to send email to "administrator" to no avail.  How does one become a productive member of this forum?  I have bought 4 of your keyboards already, is that not enough?

12 minutes ago, bytemare said:

For some reason, even though I've been on this site for 2 weeks, I still cannot post.  I have attempted to send email to "administrator" to no avail.  How does one become a productive member of this forum?  I have bought 4 of your keyboards already, is that not enough?

The forum software automatically requires all new members to submit posts for review by administrators.  Unfortunately it is required. This is to help keep this site safe for our members.  Please continue to submit posts to become a full member.  Since you mentioned "I have bought 4 of your keyboards", speaking to Casio I assume, I feel the need to clarify, this site is an independent user community.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bytemare said:

I have a similar question.   I just picked up the ct-s1000v, and I'd like to use it for live performing.  I have this issue with my previous casio (and maybe I just don't know enough!), but is there a quick way to change tones?   Like in one song, I need go to from piano to flute to synth   If I have to do this via the wheel, it's going to take a LONG time.  Is there a better way to quickly preset the tones you need for a song?

Thanks ;)

Registrations are the best way to handle tone changes during a performance.  Whenever you setup your tone selection, rhythm, splits, layers, and many other settings you may like to customize, you can save everything as a registration.  The keyboard has memory for a large number of registrations.  You can also use a pedal to select the next registration stored in memory, for recalling a sequence of registrations you may like to use one after the other. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

Registrations are the best way to handle tone changes during a performance.  Whenever you setup your tone selection, rhythm, splits, layers, and many other settings you may like to customize, you can save everything as a registration.  The keyboard has memory for a large number of registrations.  You can also use a pedal to select the next registration stored in memory, for recalling a sequence of registrations you may like to use one after the other. 

Thanks!   With registrations, it's a lot of taps to find the registration you need and load it.   That would be difficult in the middle of the song.  Also it would be nice if you could label registrations.   I'll look into switching with a pedal though, that may help out.

• Like 1

Thanks for approving my posts!

Since you mentioned "I have bought 4 of your keyboards", speaking to Casio I assume, I feel the need to clarify, this site is an independent user community.  

Well the url has a trademarked name in it, with members of Casio on this board and links to the Casio site as well as downloads so I dunno how independent it is LOL.  But I do appreciate the help.

Oh and I'm waiting for an update from OP!

Brad, bytemare, and all the music friends here, we are free and say allways what we believe...

I am glad to see that other people have the same problem. I might use many of the innovative features later, but first i want to perform next week with my friends and the band and i am not a robot who only plays using the rhythm patches as they are. I want to customize each rhythm patch - and so i return to the problem, that no one so far could explain and confirm, that it is possible and show how it works. Even the most primitive arranger can do it. The manual does not offer this and there is no video tutorial for it. is it something that  should not be mentioned? I feel slowly in this forum, that criticism is not really welcome and the system, administrators and the rules remind of autocratic structures. I have recorded a song about it  "We need more support".  

28 minutes ago, Jaromir Loeffler said:

I want to customize each rhythm patch

Unfortunately the CT-S1000V does not have any rhythm editing tools built-in.  It does have storage for additional rhythms from external sources, such as the downloads section of this forum, rhythms created on other Casio models, or rhythms created with third party software tools.  

3 hours ago, Jaromir Loeffler said:

Even the most primitive arranger can do it. 

A number of people misunderstand the whole concept behind the resurrected "Casiotone" product line. They are NOT Arranger keyboards, nor are they Workstations. They are a line of keyboards that hark back to the vintage Casiotones of the 80s, all in one preset keyboards with simple accompaniment features. Except the new Casiotones greatly expand on that concept and offer a whole lot more, but the basic concept is the same. Unfortunately,  many are wanting them to be something that they are not and have never been advertised as being.

As far as customized rhythms are concerned, the CT-S1000V (and no doubt the CT-S500, possibly 400 too?) can load in customized rhythms into the "User Rhythms" memory slots. I tried this last night by loading an AC7 file from another Casio model and had a non standard rhythm imported and played. 

Additionally, there are the Song mode and Multitrack Recording features, both are non editable in terms of actually changing/ deleting notes and other such sequence editing (you can erase or copy an entire track though). From what I can tell, anything that you record in the S1000V can be exported as a .MID file, then loaded into a DAW or MIDI editor program/ app. You can then make changes/ edits in the DAW/ Midi editor, then re-save and re-import the file into the 1000V to have customized songs/ rhythms. 

Please be aware that I have literally scratched the surface of this so haven't grasped the concept completely and might not have everything correct. But the main caveat is that you cannot edit the rhythms, or songs/ recordings from the 1000V's front panel. However,  you CAN import user rhythms and user songs created elsewhere.

Edited by Chas
  • Like 3

This is from Page 253 of the CT-S1000V User Guide. It shows you what data file types can be exported from the 1000V to a USB Flash Drive, and what files can be imported from a USB Flash Drive along with the relevant extensions. For customized rhythms, you can record your own via the Rhythm Track recording feature of the S1000V, and to tidy up/ edit/ quantize it, export it as a midi file, carry out all changes in a MIDI editing program/ DAW, re-save as a MID file, and re-import back into the S1000V.

EDIT: Looks like you can only export Tone, Rhythm and Multitrack recordings created with the S1000V. Unfortunately, it appears that you cannot import MIDI files back into the S1000V 😪

49478929_Page253USBFileExportTypes.thumb.png.a0d7d4855981a86f72eaab7a8800ef72.png

Edited by Chas
New information
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

thank you all very much for the infos. Now i know the answer to this topic.

My main question will be in the future to finde out what should i use the CT-S1000V for in the studio? The official market USP is probably the vocal synthesis, but i still do not experiment much with this as a vocalist. I am sure there are other features that no other keyboard has and i will discover later. Keep on rocking!!!