Video Files on Forum ×

Looking for guidance on adding laptop vsts to my existing Casio Rig

jeffn1

Hello,

I use a CTK-7200 and PX350. I mostly play in cover bands (and some jazz piano).

I am thinking about adding laptop VSTS to my cover band rig.

After thinking about it, I think one of the primary additions would be a Hammond/Leslie VST. 

(But, maybe there would come a time when I wanted to use it for horns, or maybe synth sounds that are not covered.)

Up to 5-10 years ago or so.  I used to be heavily into recording midi.  So, I already own some great sample libraries.  (And I know at least for my Native Instruments ones (Kontakt), I will have access to their website, so I should be able to install those.

Oh, I inherited a relatively new Windows (64 bit, Core i5 processor) laptop, that I will probably upgrade from 8gb ram to 16gb (that is the max it can take).

So, I would like to keep this simple.. 

I also have a 66 note and a smaller (2 1/2 octave Oxygen) controller keyboard that I used to use for recording.

I suppose I would prefer to use one of my current Rig keyboards (CTK-7200 and/or PX350) as the controller keyboard rather than lugging a third keyboard.

I guess my question is whether is doable to use the CTK-7200 or the PX350 as a controller keyboard. 

Is it much better to connect both?  (I suppose the weighted keys of the PX350  might make use for Hammond imperfect)

Or are they so limited that I really need to use a controller keyboard (especially for Hammond/Leslie use).

I am thinking of getting the free Cantible to start? 

Anyway, any thoughts/insights are appreciated.

Jeff

Edited by jeffn1

I would think-if expecting the VST's to respond live, that the issue would be "latency"-which even with the best setup/interface might still present a problem. also depends on your software VST-Kontakt or something similar for your sample libraries might work. Certainly connecting 2 Casios to one computer USB port-or even 2 although these share the same bus no matter how many usb ports you have on your laptop, I don't know-I can't imagine that would work too well. and since the CTK only has a USB port for midi.

The other problem I've experienced with live computers in even very good venues-have to watch out for stagelights with dimmers-which can create havoc with computers since most laptops are not too shielded, and also AC power mains. Unless you have your own very tightly controlled and filtered power supplies off the venue's AC mains, but I am old-school and still don't tend to trust computers too much in live venues-only for backup DJ type functions where I only need to rely on audio outs from a laptop or 2. Once data lines get connected-most USB cables are not too well-shielded from outside RFI and power brown-outs or surges, can play havoc with a steady stream of midi music data. I would try your setup at home first, see if it is relatively stable with VSTs and live playing before taking it out. and i would dedicate each keyboard to one computer if you can, less chance or total foobar in a live situation, and you'll always have a backup system.

14 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

I would think-if expecting the VST's to respond live, that the issue would be "latency"-which even with the best setup/interface might still present a problem. also depends on your software VST-Kontakt or something similar for your sample libraries might work. Certainly connecting 2 Casios to one computer USB port-or even 2 although these share the same bus no matter how many usb ports you have on your laptop, I don't know-I can't imagine that would work too well. and since the CTK only has a USB port for midi.

The other problem I've experienced with live computers in even very good venues-have to watch out for stagelights with dimmers-which can create havoc with computers since most laptops are not too shielded, and also AC power mains. Unless you have your own very tightly controlled and filtered power supplies off the venue's AC mains, but I am old-school and still don't tend to trust computers too much in live venues-only for backup DJ type functions where I only need to rely on audio outs from a laptop or 2. Once data lines get connected-most USB cables are not too well-shielded from outside RFI and power brown-outs or surges, can play havoc with a steady stream of midi music data. I would try your setup at home first, see if it is relatively stable with VSTs and live playing before taking it out. and i would dedicate each keyboard to one computer if you can, less chance or total foobar in a live situation, and you'll always have a backup system.

Thanks, I'll just take it slow and experiment at home. It is sort of a long term potential plan (to supplement my current rig).  I am in good shape with my CTK7200 and my PX350.  Luckily, I think I can explore this without spending much $$ on new gear or software.