Video Files on Forum ×

Control of Midi Channels (using CTK/WK as controller keyboard)

So far I am having some success is using my CTK-7200 for some midi controller uses (I still overwhelming us onboard sounds).

I have the CTK-7200 connected to my laptop running Gig Performer (GP)

As of now I use a particular user drawbar tone (tweaked so it does not generate sound internally in the CTK-7200) so I can utilize the controller sliders to send midi data (volume being the most important one). 

So, now the questions is if/how I can use it in the same song that I use onboard CTK-7200 sounds.

Is there a way to control the midi channel so the tone I use (a draw bar sound) uses a different midi channel than other tones on the keyboard.  (Then in GP I could filter out all the other midi channels).

As noted above, right now I am just using a particular drawbar tone which does not create any sound internally.  But, if I need to save it as a registration, that is fine.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

Edited by jeffn1

Okay, I think I figured something out.  If anyone could chime in to confirm (or correct or add new info, I'd appreciate it).

It seems like the default midi channel to transmit note on messages is Channel 1.   So, if I just pick a preset/user tone piano or other it will transmit on Channel 1.  (I don't know if you can change that.  If you know, please let me know).

But, it seems there is a way accomplish what I want by making the drawbar organ a registration.  Then I can select what "part" to make it.

I think part 2 sends midi on channel 2.  So, if I set it up so the tone I want is on Part 2/midi channel two and a filter out all other midi data on other channels, that may work.

I still have to figure out how that relates to upper 1, upper1 and lower tones (which would normally part 1/midi channel 1, part 2/midi channel 2, and part 3/midi channel 3 respectively.

Okay, off to work.....

Jeff

Thanks, Brad, I think I am pretty close.

In the past I have just used Registrations for splits and layers.

I think I have to figure out how to use a registration to just play a single '"sound" (the drawbar organ user sound that does not generate any internal sound)  on a single channel other than Channel 1, with no midi data sent on other channels (or at least not on the channel I am using for the Drawbar Organ I use).

Jeff

So, I think I would need create a split in the Registration.

And I would want to use the lower split, which sends data on Channel 3.

And in order to keep the synth from sending data on channel 1 (or any other channel), I would make the highest note on the keyboard the split point. (And hopefully never touch that while performing).

In Gig Performer, I would set it up so it only responds to data on channel 3.

I will try this and let you know.

[And I just realized that my little CTK-7200 has 3 buttons that send midi cc data, in addition to the 9 sliders (Duh!).  If everything comes along as I hope, my little CTK-7200 will turn out to be a decent keyboard to use as a controller for VSTs on a laptop, while still allowing me to use all the internal sounds/registrations that I have become accustomed to using.]

Edited by jeffn1
  • Like 1

• jeffn1 changed the title to Control of Midi Channels (using CTK/WK as controller keyboard)