Video Files on Forum ×

Chord Correction of SMF Import?

Akshansh - Alex

Hello,

I loaded a .sty rhythm from other keyboard to Casio MZ-X500. I loaded all the variations and fill-in except Intros and Endings

Now I have problem that if I load the rhythm with any type of chords then play it, it always plays in Cm7. But the minor chords are nise hearable.

When I change chord to C or C#... Aka... Major chords it always played in minor 7th like Cm7, Ab minor 7th...

What I checked out to fix it:
Parameter Edit - Chord Basic, Bass Basic
Inversion - Off
But nothing happened...

So the question is how do I correct the chords from Cm7 to simple C major without using Event Editor?

What other keyboard did you get this from, obviously it is a Yamaha style file for a Tyros or PSR.  You may not be able to fix this without major event editing, if even that. Yamaha style files have an advanced form of programming embedded in their styles called "CASM" modelling-which do not easily translate to anything else. What type of chords are being used in this original .sty file? When you create an original rhythm/chord style, you are always supposed to start with a C root and a major chord. If this original style was created with minor chords, you will have to do some editing as far as I know. Maybe someone else here can give you better advice.

23 hours ago, Akshansh said:

Hello,

I loaded a .sty rhythm from other keyboard to Casio MZ-X500. I loaded all the variations and fill-in except Intros and Endings

Now I have problem that if I load the rhythm with any type of chords then play it, it always plays in Cm7. But the minor chords are nise hearable.

When I change chord to C or C#... Aka... Major chords it always played in minor 7th like Cm7, Ab minor 7th...

What I checked out to fix it:
Parameter Edit - Chord Basic, Bass Basic
Inversion - Off
But nothing happened...

So the question is how do I correct the chords from Cm7 to simple C major without using Event Editor?

It is very rare for a STY rhythm to work properly even when using the MZ-X converter.

It's easier for you to rename the STY file to Mid and edit it in your favorite DAW and only then send it to the MZ-X converter.

The STY extension is much more complex and elaborate than the AC7 extension.

Casio long ago should have made a successor to the AC7 with improvements especially in the smaller majors and sevenths.

And it is also very useful for Casio to unlock the AC7 files and leave the default midi in your core.

I'm working and making this process for CT-X users and for CT-X keyboards. Because there are many peoples who don't have CT-X with MZ-X keyboard. MZ-X is able to convert STY file directly to AC7 using SMF Convertor and I have no problem to change the chords from 7th to root or as usual with the Event Editor. But CT-X series doesn't has event editor to do that and also not have MIDI to AC7 convertor inbuilt which is not bad for CT-X series... I need a PC software (if any available) that will convert SMF to AC7 without using MZ-X. I know that there is a Excel program available to do that but I can't able to find it, but also that's language is not English so I also didn't able to understand when I was downloaded it (two years ago of this when I was downloaded). 😅🙂