Video Files on Forum ×

SMF Import Error

Akshansh - Alex

Hello,

I have an issue with the MZ-X500:

When I imported midi sequence as SMF Import (.Mid file), nothing sounds and all the events are empty in all mixer parts. But, before importing any midi file, there is an option to listen the midi track of the variation. On that option the sound is hearable but after importing the midi in rhythm, no sound is coming. What is the problem and the solution for that?

It was not any STY or PRS... It's MID which I've created with DAW and exported as MID to load it in MZ-X.

More details, I exported midi with daw as midi channel 11 to 16 (full accomp)

Edited by Akshansh

Both STY, PRS and AC7 control data are different probably I think. I use a tradition Event Edit or Midi Notes Edit method. Importing any standard midi file as a rhythm on MZ-X has option to select specific time or measure to start and end like 4 beat 8 beat etc. 

How can this software help us to correct CASM data for Casio keyboard?

I don't know if Sam's referenced CASM editor by Jorge Sorensen can strip the CASM data out of the Yamaha style file, but that's what you need to do in order for it not to revert back to the original settings designed for the Yamaha arrangers. If you study Jorge Sorensen's many descriptions of what CASM is, you will see it is embedded very deeply into the Yamaha style hex codes and commands, which he reverse engineered in order to re-program these commands for enabling the several generations of Yamaha midi style file formats across different Yamaha arrangers, but not for compatibility among other brands of styles.

Study this manual to see exactly what CASM commands do, and these are considered non-midi messages-in other words, standard midi sequencer software editors will not even "see" or recognize these commands-these are hex strings which will not be recognized except for the specific Yamaha arrangers these were designed for. You will need a hex editor (I think) to interpret and strip out these commands, and you will have to recognize and interpret each hex string to strip it out, not an easy task. I can't find any software that can automate this process, but there might be. The CASM data is considered almost as a separate "patch" but I don't know enough about it to be sure. Unlike Casio or other midi file  "headers" which have data at the beginning of the midi file to establish tones/banks/volume/panning etc. I think the CASM data comes later in the file if you are studying it with a hex editor. Or could be embedded elsewhere-in the middle of the file or even towards the end depending upon what it does.

The more evolved-the more recent the Yamaha style, the more complex this seems to become. I have only had some luck with older, simpler Yamaha style files in my Casios. But then these used fairly standard "GM" tones and banks, so there was no need to change much. Not so with later styles, which often use "extended" Yamaha XG tones/banks and "sweet" voices for better-sounding styles. And you are being faced with years of many people developing and refining the huge database of styles designed specifically for the many PSR and Tyros arrangers, not for the Casios. Those people are....here!   

:hitt:

https://manualzz.com/doc/22151578/yamaha-keyboards---style-creation-course

From what I can determine, these commands will include which tones/banks are selected , levels of dynamics (volume) or muting channels and where the markers are from switching between style variations, fills, intros and endings. Also-how the style will react to your chord voicings, which may or may not match Casio fingered chord responses.

After spending much time trying to accomplish cross-compatibility between many styles from several branded arrangers, I decided it was easier just to compose my own midi styles designed for my Casios using midi editors/recorders/players, and the only Casio software I know of that can do this, IDES 4.0 although now we have some very useful and interesting software developed by other Casio musicians which can accomplish some things previously not possible with many Casio arrangers. Chandler's outstanding handbook found here is a true full tutorial if you really want to dig in and "roll your own". Can be very rewarding, and of course you will now have styles custom-designed for exactly what you want to hear and play along with.

Edited by Jokeyman123