Video Files on Forum ×

Forgetful XW-G1

Jay C

Hi

I have this issue with me beloved XW-G1, that I would like help with.

If I record and save a phrase and then add that phrase to a performance (and save that aswell), it seems to forget that phrase next time I recall the same performance.

Instead, it just picks Phrase P0-0 SynthPhrase 1. So, I manually have to go back into the phrases menu using the phrase keyplay button on the front of the XW-G1 to select the right user phrase.

But isn't the synthesizer supposed to store both these settings and changes in settings  - even after the power has been turned off?

Jay 🎹

There is a specific place in the performance edit menu to specify the phrase number.  In performance mode, press edit, then go to sequencers, and phrase.  Specify that, exit from the edit menu, then write the performance to memory.  Hopefully that does it.  It's been a while since I tried that.  My memory is fuzzy. 

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 5/10/2022 at 3:55 PM, Jay C said:

If I record and save a phrase and then add that phrase to a performance (and save that aswell), it seems to forget that phrase next time I recall the same performance.

I still have that problem... also I have another issue with the G1, that has to do with internal timing as described elsewhere on this forum.

So, I actually put it up for sale (!).

For 3 months or so, the keyboard has been available for someone else to purchase.

The other day I placed it in my living room (it had been stored in the basement). I gave it a go at the keys and got back into the groove - so to speak. 

It still is a fun keyboard to play - despite its technical flaws.

So I want to ask the community here a simple question.

Should I keep it  or Sell it ???

Thanks.

Jay 🎹

• 2 weeks later...

@Jay C- To answer your question, I'd suggest getting an idea of what price you could get if you were to sell your G1, then look at what is available within your budget to replace it. Can you find something else that has a similar feature set,  or that  gives you all the features you require with the funds available?

I'm keeping mine as from a value for money perspective, the G1 (and P1) still have a lot to offer. For sure they can be quirky and idiosyncratic, plus some aspects could have been implemented better. But every time I fire them up and start playing around, they spark off ideas and inspiration that I can't get from any other keyboards in their price range. 

• Like 1