Video Files on Forum ×

Cps-7

coop

CPS7 is a classic so it uses a NEGATIVE center tip 9VDC 1A power supply. From what I can remember it is a small center hole but standard outside diameter barrel. A Sony playstation 1 PSU works with it but that is 10VDC.. I forget but look up Casio 9vdc power supply and make sure it says CASIO not some off brand Chinese crap. The actual output will be 9VDC 850mA so almost 1A.

Ok, that is a much newer model than I thought lol. Well you will need to search PSU for Casio CPS 7 online. Why? Because the newer Casio models do use 9vdc, 9.5Vdc and 12Vdc at both negative and positive center so it can be confusing. A purely classic Casio made in the 1980s that is made in the late or mid 80s will have 9VDC negative center, or 7.5Vdc negative center and the PT1 sized units are 6vdc negative center.

Since your keyboard says 12VDC look carefully if you see a symbol for the polarity as that is very important. A The symbol looks something like this:   -C+    for positive center and:  +C-  for negative center. IF, the port is  -C+ it would be positive center 12VDC and you can easily find one of those even from a Yamaha keyboard which uses that 12vdc 1A positive center or ANY adapter with that rating and polarity. The next issue will be finding out the center PIN SIZE. That is the most irritating issue here. If you can, please take a picture up close of the port and post it here to help other users here identify the port and better help you find a power supply that most likely can be gotten cheaply. Amazon and Ebay is rife with these PSUs but alot of sellers purposely omit details on them so you can not cross reference for yourself and buy the one you need. You end up blindly buying a supply that may be the one or may be wrong. I hate that, so yeah, post a pic and see if we can better help.

2 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

CPS-7 is pretty old (1996) and shipped with the Casio AD-12 adapter, according to the manual.  It appears AD-12MLA is the current replacement for that discontinued model.  

Screenshot_20220512-084259~2.png

Thankyou @Brad Saucier! Yeah I could not find a proper reference for this model online. Google sucks in 2022. I see it is IS negative tip, so that is important for sure. So he needs to find AD-12MLA then? I think there are universal adapters with interchangeable tips and switchable polarity and selectable voltages that can fill the void too but the key with those is the amps so a 1A or higher amps DC output adapter is key. Funny, I never heard of old Casio keys using 12VDC like Yamaha but we learn something new everyday eh?! 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

AFAIK most keyboards need 12V only at maximum volume (else sound distorts). I often ran them at 9V and lower without trouble. Also when it requests >1A, in most digital household keyboards this is only needed for maximum volume. Unless the PSU runs hot or crashes, it is harmless.

Only never confuse polarity (that's deadly for early Casios). Also stay away from too weak power supplies in very new stuff that has writeable flash memory. Such keyboards function like USB sticks and may suddenly die if a crash happens during write access (which in worst case can overwrite firmware with garbage). But a 1996 model unlikely has this.