Video Files on Forum ×

Casio please. Save us from the headphone jack.

Cercle

Hi all.

I've just bought a 3000. Lovely piano. So classy device...

But please Casio, save us to have to plug a jack in the headphone input to turn off the speakers please.

Such a beautiful object must continue looking beautiful without plugged jacks on the front side!

IMG20220516111734.jpg

Edited by Cercle

• Cercle changed the title to Casio please. Save us from the headphone jack.

Thanks for your reply Brad.

I respect your opinion, but it seems very unprofessional to me to have to plug a jack to disable the speakers when a small firmware update would solve the problem.

Also, for those of us who use this piano in a studio envoirement,  that jack connected to the front side all the time is very annoying and dangerous at the same time.. Any accidental friction will break the headphone jack input or the plug itself.

I hope Casio will read this thread and help us with a little firmware update.

Edited by Cercle

They put the headphone jack on the front so it's easily accessible for those using headphones instead of searching around the back of the instrument. Most people see having it on the front as an improvement.

My idea for you is, get a 1/4" plug with no wires, probably from an electronics store, and cut off or remove most of it leaving just enough to grab or attach when you do want to remove the plug from the jack. A quick search turned up this. You might be able to unscrew the barrel from the plug and cut off the wiring points (not shown). Then when you want to unplug it, screw the barrel back on and pull.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I recall "kludging" an old CTK Casio with a physical on/off rocker switch to accomplish what you want. but then the electronics were a bit simpler to deal with, as were the cosmetics of the CTK's case so was not too difficult. And was not under any kind of warranty. Joe posted already-another possibility-get a stereo headphone plug, cut off the wire and...ahhh...never mind...would still stick out too much, I do what Brad suggested with a 1/8" adapter. At least you'd only have a little nub sticking out instead of an entire plug which admittedly leaves room for wacking it with something and ruining the entire jack assembly-not that i'd know anything about such a thing. :taz:

Many of my "pro' bords have the headphone jack in the back-is not very convenient with a rack of keys on a stand. And a few Privias have the jack out the side. If you were ambitious, and this were not under warranty, wouldn't be too hard to fit another jack in some other location, and wire it to the IC board these jacks are connected to. The PX560 and my Equinox have jacks in the front, as do several of my smaller midi modules.

Delayed post-my bad. Brad and joe already covered this.

On 5/23/2022 at 1:39 PM, Joe Muscara said:

You don't even know if this is changeable by programming.

Maybe it's an old school headphone with a switch to exclude the analog audio.

There are jack switches with extra contacts that can work with two jacks in parallel.

• Like 1

If the speakers/external sound system can be turned off and on by a software command from the touchscreen as it is in my PX560, I sincerely doubt this can be modified except as joe said, by Casio. And now you are re-designing the function of the entire instrument. and as far as manual switching the headphone jacks on and off, I don' think it is simple process either, as it would be on older keyboards-there are 4 coils in the IC board for the jacks in my PX560, I seem to recall something similar in other Casios.

Coils are complex mechanisms-are designed for establishing the "impedance" of a circuit (yes, I've had electronics training, and was ham radio operator years back-I had to learn plenty about coils and impedance for antenna and radio design) Impedance is not something I would want to switch on and off with a manual switch and with coils in the circuit. Why some headphones respond better than others with the Casios. Coils are energized in a circuit that is powered on-and impedance is an AC signal not DC so more difficult to switch on and off-again not something i would mess with. Like connecting/disconnecting speakers while your stereo system is on, or plugging/unplugging audio in/out cables while your equipment is on-and why you shouldn't, there is a "rebound" effect with impedance that can damage components. Invariably there would be audible clicking in your audio circuits unless you switched this circuit on and off while the Casio was powered off. Doesn't make things much easier, does it?