Video Files on Forum ×

Noisy black keys on new keyboard.

Cercle
Go to solution Solved by Brad Saucier,

Hi.

I have the 3000 for a week now and some black keys have started to make a very annoying and loud noise..

I have read on the forum that this is a known problem. I would like to know if the problem is fixable. That is, if the people who sent the piano to Casio to repair it were happy with the repair or, on the contrary, it makes noise again.

I have experience cleaning and greasing keybeds of synths but I've never fixed a 88 weighted keybes. Is it something I can fix myself? It's a grease problem?

I know. I can send it back to the store but I don't want to do that. I would like to know the cause of the noise and fix it myself.

Thanks in advance.

Wow! I have modified many keyboards (out of warranty and necessity-I have sensitive hearing) that I felt were excessively noisy-Casios and others-but I have never heard a new Casio sound like this. I completely second Brad's suggestion to return this one. This does not sound like a typical clunking or rasping noise from a worn 88-key action and I have several 88-key monsters. I can't even tell what is wrong as it certainly isn't a typical key hammer noise i've experienced from worn felts. Sounds like there is a broken mechanism in at least part of the octave spans-or something has either been assembled incorrectly, or has broken itself loose. I can only guess-might be the rubber pads on some hammers have fallen off, or parts of the key assembly frame were not assembled correctly.

The other possibility-if this has been handled roughly during shipping-possibly the hammers have somehow gotten out of position, and the arms are hitting against each other. You might try turning the PX upside down flat, or on its front or back edges and jostle it around a bit-to see if this is so-movement like this might correct any parts that are simply out of place, and not necessarily broken or loose. if this doesn't work, i would not risk trying to repair it yourself, this is definitely not a "normal' sounding PX and I own the 350, 560 and 575, plus other weighted-action monsters and never heard anything like this. Sounds like someone dropped their loose change in there! maybe one of the factory assembly guys left their car keys in it....:hitt:

Edited by Jokeyman123