Video Files on Forum ×

DIGILOG

Mike Martin

The PX-5S is a digital, sample based synthesizer but it offers enormous flexibility. Perhaps thinking about Vangelis passing, I found myself going down a bit of rabbit hole last night. 

DIGILOG is a set of analog style experiments for the PX-5S. Essentially the goal was to make is sound as alive as possible, by creating an enormous amount of randomization. These Stage Settings consist of two zones. Zone 1 = Oscillator 1 and Zone 2 = Oscillator 2. Each zone uses 6 splits, each with different sawtooth waveforms spread across the keyboard, so even when playing notes an octave apart, it is unlikely you'll hear the same sawtooth sample. Each sawtooth (layer) has its own slight pitch, envelope and filter randomization. This concept is duplicated on the second zone and with each of the parameters and samples slightly altered from the first zone. This means when the filter is adjusted or the envelope is rising, nothing is happening at exactly the same time or the same way.  

Note: Reverb added using Valhalla VintageVerb  

Download at: 
https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/file/1488-digilog/

• Like 1
  • Love 1

A-Ha! A type of "morphing" ALA wav sequencing. Very nice! Some of the PX-560 hex layer factory sounds suggest I think a form of wave sequencing-in that slight variations (although on entirely different sounds, not just sawtooth waves) can be created through time changes in envelope attack, sustain and release times in varying ways for each tone. I imagine digilog can also be created with the PX560-and I'm sure with the XW-P1? Worth a try. It is odd that the entire concept of wave sequencing never caught on, or possibly not many understood how it could be used creatively-despite Vangelis certainly being a pioneer in these types of time-variant sounds to create his soundscapes. and now we have these Casios-which years later-can bring the concept back, and in possibly a much more approachable, and slightly different way. Such as your-digilog!      :applause::boing:

Added-#93 (Cosmo Waves) and #98 (Out There) hex layers in the PX560 i think are good examples of this "morphing" or evolving type of sound changes over time.

Edited by Jokeyman123

• 3 weeks later...