Video Files on Forum ×

Generally speaking, how does the PX5s perform in hot outdoor conditions

drb32856
Go to solution Solved by Brad Saucier,

I am gigging my PX5s for the first time in 2 days. Outdoors with some cover provided on top but otherwise open on all 4 sides. Weather prediction is for sunny with highs around 98-100 actual#s, and 110-115 in the "feels like" dept. My Kronos never liked anything above 85 and would shut itself off every few minutes. My Roland FA-06 will continue to play, but the screen seems to be bothered and it will freeze on one sound at times . How's the Casio for these types of gigs? Any kind of tips to avoid issues? I am going to have a small fan to give the boards some circulation.

• Solution

In the history of the PX-5S Facebook group, I've never known a PX-5S to have any issues with outdoor temperatures at any extreme, hot or cold. I think the white plastic body of the instrument helps with heat control, as opposed to a black metal body.  In general, I think the PX runs cool anyways.  

Just a quick update. The gig went off without any problems for the PX5s!! This was really a rough one due to the 100 degree temp and high humidity. Guitarist were all having tuning issues and 

all of us were soaked in sweat, but I was  so happy that the Casio never flinched. Thanks again Brad for the reassurances. On to the next one!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

In general I wouldn't put anything with significant dark/black areas particularly plastic in full sun. It can easily reach a temperature where it softens. Even individual dark buttons on a light coloured panel can warm up rapidly, as can displays. Objects can attain much higher temperatures than the ambient air temperatures.