Video Files on Forum ×

Where's the leslie?

What the heck? There's like a million organs patches in this box and NOT one of them has the leslie fast/slow ability BUILT IN to the preset and controlled by one of the buttons. i.e. Hitting the mod wheel turns on some cheesy ass modulation instead of a leslie fx.  What's that nonsense all about? Am i missing something?

Knobs are programmable.  To use a knob for rotary speed, first select a preset tone with rotary DSP, or add rotary DSP to a tone.  Press menu>active DSP>parameter... to confirm rotary is the DSP effect.  Press back, then press knob.  K3 should automatically be speed fast/slow.   Press exit and press hold to turn on DSP hold so you can exit and keep the changes you make.  You may need to adjust rotary DSP parameters to achieve the controllable rotary effect you like.  The initial one I tried had brake turned on.   To save this knob configuration and tone for future use, press registration and store to save it to a registration bank.  

32 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

You can also change rotary speed by a button on the screen by going to the active DSP parameter menu.  

ha ha!  that's super easy to do that in the middle of a song 20 or 30 times.  Not!  somehow i think you are missing my point, or i am failing to  make it clearly enough?  i.e. pick an organ preset.  now, how do you make the leslie go fast or slow?  please don't say registration, because if you save it as a registration, you have to do that for EVERY preset... AND once it is a registration, you can't name them, so they are sorta useless unless you have super mnemonic powers and/or a pad and paper to remember what is what.  come on casio, this shoulda been easy. you're better than that.

All the Casiotone models are preset keyboards and none of them can save "Tones". One problem that many have coming to them from more synth based keyboards is getting their heads around not being able to save modified presets as "Tones" or patches. Or expecting the Casiotones to behave in the way a more conventional synth does.

The more powerful Casiotones approach the saving of modified tones as Registrations in the same way that a programmable organ does. It's the exact same principle - select a pure preset Tone, add/ adjust/ modify all the modulations you want to use with it, then save as a Registration for recall later. I'm sure you know that the Leslie Speaker is an addition, and not all organs had or used them. So you have the option to add a Leslie speaker DSP to an organ Tone if you wish, but not all preset organ Tones need it and not all users want to use it. It's up to you to add it if you want.

I agree with you that not being able to name registrations is a strange omission and makes recalling them harder, however, once you start working with them it's not too hard to remember the banks and numbers of your saved custom sounds. It's what church organists have had to do for many years.

And though you have a point that maybe the Leslie effect could have been the default TONE DSP for some of the organ patches, do remember that CMF is an independent user generated and run forum, not the official forum for the Casio company. Perhaps getting the point across in a friendlier manner may help raise your issue more positively. Brad contributes to CMF voluntarily, as I and others do also, and he is here trying to offer you a solution not to take the flak for design decisions/ choices that have nothing to do with him. 

Maybe instead ask to have a pinned topic of "S1000V/ S500 Firmware Upgrade Suggestions" that users would like to see implemented and can add to, such as including the Leslie DSP to (XYZ) Organ Tones?

• Like 1

<<All the Casiotone models are preset keyboards and none of them can save "Tones". >> 

not looking to "save" a tone, merely toggle the fast slow speed.

<<you have the option to add a Leslie speaker DSP to an organ Tone if you wish, but not all preset organ Tones need it and not all users want to use it. It's up to you to add it if you want.>>

many of the preset organs ALREADY have the leslie, you just CAN NOT toggle the fast slow speed.

<<I agree with you that not being able to name registrations is a strange omission and makes recalling them harder, however, once you start working with them it's not too hard to remember the banks and numbers of your saved custom sounds. It's what church organists have had to do for many years.>>

IF the leslie speed could be toggled in a preset that already HAS leslie, there would be NO need to even create a registration.

And though you have a point that maybe the Leslie effect could have been the default TONE DSP for some of the organ patches

The Leslie IS the default tone DSP for quite a few patches (see further down**), yet you CAN NOT toggle the speed without making a registration.

do remember that CMF is an independent user generated and run forum, not the official forum for the Casio company. Perhaps getting the point across in a friendlier manner may help raise your issue more positively. 

Apologies if anyone was offended by my gruff manner. It is certainly not directed at any members here, merely the over $700 frustration Casio has put me through recently.  Why $700?  well, as much as i loved the $200 CT-S1, you couldn't toggle the fast/slow speed on the organs. So i dumped $500 more dollars into the Casio watch company's pocket only to find where we are now.

Ask to have a pinned topic of "S1000V/ S500 Firmware Upgrade Suggestions" that users would like to see implemented and can add to

Hey, all for that, but on this forum when i brought that up about the CT-S1, i believe the response was "NO firmware updates will happen." So consider me less than hopeful

**referred from above:

For anyone still reading this far, try this:

-look at page EN-290 of the manual

-it lists ALL the organ tone presets. (there's 41 organs!)  cool.

-In column six, you can see that ALL but 6 of those presets are DSP based tones. cool. they have DSP!

-select patch 100 on the casio. "jazz organ." hey, it's a cool organ with a fast leslie! Chart says it has DSP

-now let's toggle that speed to slow

-knob 3?  nope! terrible modulation

-knob k1? nope!  stupid filter

-knob k2? nope resonance

-OK no problem. it was mentioned upthread that the knobs are globally assignable and default to the afore mentioned parameters.

-hit physical "home button"

-hit "knob"  button on screen.  cool i see the assignments for K1, 2 and 3!

-select "knob 1"  and scroll through the parameters.  cutoff, modulation, delay send, etc.

-21 parameters, but NO fast slow. ay yi yi! how is this possible? the manual says it is a dsp tone. let's doublecheck

-hit physical "home" button

-hit physical "menu" button

-select "active DSP" on screen

-select "parameter" on screen.  wow, it says "rotary!" cool

-select "back" on screen

-select "knob" on screen. holy crap, look at that! K1 is speed fast/slow, K2 is brake and K3 is rate. This is awesome.  

sure enough, there it all is ...BUT ya can't change fast/ slow speed without making and saving a registration?  that is messed up.

Edited by d. gauss

For anyone who may stumble on this thread in the future, another option is the "my setup" feature.  It is similar to registrations but stores more system related settings than a registration.  4 my setup memory slots are available, and they can be renamed. 

I created a "my setup" using 111 Rock Organ 2 where K3 is brake, K1 is speed fast/slow and K2 is overdrive gain.  If you switch to other preset tones, knob functions will continue to work with DSP in various ways when a tone with DSP is selected, as it would when a registration of this type is created.  I named this my setup "DSP knobs".  

1 hour ago, Brad Saucier said:

another option is the "my setup" feature.  It is similar to registrations but stores more system related settings than a registration.  4 my setup memory slots are available, and they can be renamed. 

this is promising. but...

I created a "my setup" using 111 Rock Organ 2 where K3 is brake, K1 is speed fast/slow and K2 is overdrive gain. 

edit:  i messed up something in my reply that was clearly wrong info on my part.   deleted it.  

Edited by d. gauss

3 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

I created a "my setup" using 111 Rock Organ 2 where K3 is brake, K1 is speed fast/slow and K2 is overdrive gain.  If you switch to other preset tones, knob functions will continue to work with DSP in various ways when a tone with DSP is selected, as it would when a registration of this type is created.  I named this my setup "DSP knobs".  

This is sorta cool, but a coupla serious "gotchas."  I made four MYSETUPS similar to what you described.  one for Piano. one for Organ. One for Whurly. One for Rhodes.  Meat and potato gig sounds.   They're labeled as to what they are and look dandy.  but... for the life of me, i can't find an easy way to switch between them.  i.e. 1,2,3, and 4 visible on the lcd buttons via a single click, or a click of the scroll wheel.

28 minutes ago, GregSokil said:

Is there a way to set this Leslie on a Privia PX-560MBE?

Yes, you can create a registration on the PX-560 with knob or mod wheel assigned to control rotary DSP.  Some registrations may be downloadable from the forums, already made for you.  

Actually, here are some from Roger Hooper. 

• 1 year later...
On 7/7/2022 at 1:51 PM, d. gauss said:

This is sorta cool, but a coupla serious "gotchas."  I made four MYSETUPS similar to what you described.  one for Piano. one for Organ. One for Whurly. One for Rhodes.  Meat and potato gig sounds.   They're labeled as to what they are and look dandy.  but... for the life of me, i can't find an easy way to switch between them.  i.e. 1,2,3, and 4 visible on the lcd buttons via a single click, or a click of the scroll wheel.

Say, did you ever get anywhere with this?