Video Files on Forum ×

Is this possible?

bob green

I use my Px5S to control an external sound source, as well as its internal sounds. Is there any way to control volume of an external sound, say, with a slider, while having the internal sound on the same layer ignore the slider? I know I can use a different zone for the external sound, but I'm using the same note range for both, and with only 4 zones available I'm trying to see if I can squeeze a bit more out of the stage setting. Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

a possibility...  Set the slider on the zone to a MIDI CC that the tone doesn't use.  On your receiving device, have the CC output from the PX read and control the external sound.  For your external sound you would have to likely program it to respond in whatever way to the CC being transmitted.

This depends on the programability of your external sound - can it receive any CC and assign it to control volume, for example?  If not, you could use a bridge program like MIDI OX to receive the weird CC from the PX and convert that to a CC 7 or CC 11 before transmitting it to your external receiving device.

Edited by Choppin
adding moe info

On 10/10/2022 at 3:06 PM, Choppin said:

a possibility...  Set the slider on the zone to a MIDI CC that the tone doesn't use.  On your receiving device, have the CC output from the PX read and control the external sound.  For your external sound you would have to likely program it to respond in whatever way to the CC being transmitted.

This depends on the programability of your external sound - can it receive any CC and assign it to control volume, for example?  If not, you could use a bridge program like MIDI OX to receive the weird CC from the PX and convert that to a CC 7 or CC 11 before transmitting it to your external receiving device.

Seems feasible.....only stopping point would be that I don't know how flexible my receiving device (Nord Electro 3) is as far as reasigning CC #'s.....worth a shot though.......