Video Files on Forum ×

WK-1800 Per Voice realtime waveform display, and visual DSP status display (is it possible)

silent

Greetings,

I was wondering if its possible to display the status of each of the DSPs internal channels (voices) as a waveform display for educational purposes

from looking at the SM of the WK-1800 you would need to either have access to the working memory, or be able to extract the data from one of the pins on the chip or the main-board.

This might be even more difficult given that the DSP mixes down all 32 voices into 2 channels of audio

The goal is to have a visual way to see how the synth handles voice switching, and other scenarios where the voices are full. as well as seeing if certain voices are dedicated certain tasks.

As well as be a cool looking mod.

My best guess as how one could do this is via some kind of microcontroller or something running custom hardware and connected to a set of small screens, or an output port of some kind.

You could do this with an oscilloscope-there are some less expensive smaller digital scopes on amazon, eBay or elsewhere if you don't have one. If you connect the scope leads to the right outputs-it (in theory) should show you the shape of each wave, or possibly at one of the audio outputs. You would have to know where in the circuit the waveforms are being generated initially-possibly as you posted, directly from the CPU which depending on the Casio, I would "guess" are being directly output at the CPU.  cyberyogi here in this group might know a little more about this.