Video Files on Forum ×

CT-S500 as MIDI Controller?

Hey, first time poster in this part of the Casio forum, I’ve had a handful of Casio 61-76 note boards over the years, love the value Casio always brings, esp these days with the new chip! I’ve got a CT-X5000 and am considering selling it and buying a CT-S500 because:

- it’s lighter, the panel is less deep and runs off batteries, has guitar hooks for straps, making it suitable as a bed/couch/jam board

- it has new sounds that have improved compared to the X5000

- I anticipate it’ll be much more user-friendly, which is great, though it’ll be a trade off as the X5000 has some great capabilities

- It has BT Audio, me likely

- MOST IMPORTANTLY: It has 3 assignable knobs!   

: It has BT MIDI as well as an Aux In, which means I can send my keyboard playing to my iPad wirelessly, and then hear the iPad sounds thru the keyboard speakers and the outs simply by using an audio cable from the ipad to the Aux In!  This is huge, makes adding sounds from a laptop/iPad a 1 cable slam dunk.

My main question is: will the knobs send MIDI cc messages?  And overall, is the S500 more suitable as a MIDI controller than the X5000?

Recently snagged the iPad Hammond B-3X app- wow!  I can hear why so many people love it, first organ program where I mostly love the presets and can recognize oft-heard organ sounds, it’s very inspiring.  Will also be playing iPad synth apps, where the use of the knobs for filters/EQ/FX, etc., would be fantastic.

I’m mostly a piano player but want to have a 2 keyboard setup where the top board is a decent MIDI controller board that has good sounds, and is user friendly.  

I’m also open to suggestions in the under $700 range for good 61 note MIDI controller boards with decent action and sounds, looking for a twofer!  So far in my limited research the CT-S500 is looking good.  Just wish it also had a good microphone input, but that’s secondary to the above.

The CT-S500 is a great keyboard (as is the CT-X5000, but they do have different target markets). The CT-S500 has MIDI-over-USB and as long as you plan on using it to control sounds on a "computer" (which would include something like an iPad), you should be able run the USB cable from the CT-S500 to the iPad and play the sounds on the iPad. Just make sure the cable is the right type.

Oh yeah, you could also use the Bluetooth adapter to play your iPad as well. That's what the thing is for.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Randelph said:

My main question is: will the knobs send MIDI cc messages?  And overall, is the S500 more suitable as a MIDI controller than the X5000?

Yes and yes.  CT-S500 has a dedicated controller mode unlike the X5000.  Check out pages EN-201 to EN-213 in the manual for details about MIDI controller mode here.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 3:37 AM, Randelph said:

My main question is: will the knobs send MIDI cc messages?  

@11 24 in the video below, I show how to assign the CT-S1000V K1, K2 and K3 controllers to a VST synth to control it over USB MIDI. The CT-S500 can do this also:

• Like 1

Hey- thanks for all the replies!  Chas, what a great job you’ve done, I watched a few of your videos and they are very helpful!

As I’ve widened my search, it appears the competing contestants, the Korg EK50 and Yamaha PSR EW425, are better than I thought. Both of these boards are pricier but would be worth the extra $100-200 dollars more if I go that way.  

Of course, until I get a chance to try them in person I won’t be able to feel the difference in keybeds.  Playing a weighted keyboard most of the time, the difference can be disconcertingly uncomfortable, but of course some unweighted/semi-weighted boards have better expression dynamics-control than others.

[Side note: I just wish there was an arranger board that had a Kawai keybed from the ES110/120/520, like Nord used a Kawai keybed for their Nord Grand.  This keybed is the best yet for being nimble and supremely expressive, and it’s on the light-touch side, making it easier for unweighted/semi-weighted players to make the adjustment. And, it’s super lightweight and outfitted to their budget boards, so apparently inexpensive.]

Korg EK-50 Pros and Cons compared to CT-S500

++ much better UI, it does considerably more arranger-wise, and has a well designed and friendly UI

++ considerably better/more powerful sound system, with option to spend another $100 and get even more powerful sound

++ Pre-configured sounds for playing Styles, Key Styles, meaning they’ve created a bank of 170 Key Styles, which are 4 sounds that work well together, all ready for Styles

++ Can name registrations, it’s not just a number in a registration bank

+ 4 sounds at once instead of 3

+ I had the Korg PA1000, and other than the keybed, it had the best sound quality / arranger Styles / sound system of any board I’ve heard or owned, including higher end boards.  Hopefully their much lower end board would inherit much of that DNA

- - - $200-300 more expensive

- - no expression knobs, though the joy stick can do PB and MW

- -  no wireless BT MIDI or audio, let alone a built-in USB interface

- - heavier, bigger

- no second pedal input for expression pedal

? Unknown MIDI controller capabilities, esp hampered by not having at least BT MIDI to cut down on hassle/cabling.

Yamaha EW425 

+++ USB audio/MIDI interface built-in!  That’s huge as I go ever further down the rabbit hole of live connectivity with laptop/iPad

+++ Microphone input!!!  With top panel mic switch: off / talk (no reverb) / effects 

++ much more powerful sound system

++ 76 notes!

- - Ridiculously huge aircraft landing pad of a front panel, overall much bigger/heavier

- - $100 more (or about the same price as the S500 if I got the very similar PSR E-474)

- no second pedal input for expression pedal, and only 2 expression knobs

? possibly better sound quality overall, esp with a new Grand Piano and organ samples from their YC series; not worried about the piano, have enjoyed the piano on the last couple of Casio keyboards 

? Unknown controller board capabilities other than the built-in interface

? Unknown but hopeful- have been burned before by stupid/lousy Yamaha UI (Yamaha XS7), lots of features but you needed to be an engineer to figure out and remember.  However, this board is said to be a friendlier iteration of their EW series

————-

Any other boards to consider?  I want:

- as a compliment to my piano board: something to play organ/synth sounds from my iPad, and hopefully the built-in sounds are good enough that I don’t need to do so all the time

- decent controller capabilities like expression knobs/faders, expression pedal input, and designed for being a controller

- the keybed is at least OK for piano (which is usually a measure with unweighted boards of how well you can control the dynamics)

- good quality built-in speakers: sure makes it nice at a party when you arrive and you’re ready to play

- easy iPad integration- BT MIDI and an Aux In at the minimum, USB audio/midi built-in interface ideally

- under $600-700

- microphone input that works- the one on my CT-X5000 is all but useless

- battery power

Thanks again for all the input.  If this board was simply for couch/bed/jamming, the S500 would be a slam dunk with it’s small size, light weight, BT MIDI and Aux In.

For me however, a few other things are also very important:  a microphone input that’s useable, 3-4 times the amp power, a more comprehensive arranger function with a very user-friendly UI, etc., these are very compelling to me.  

Your suggestions?

Here is a great review of the PSR EW-425 that combines text with video examples, really like this format:

Written review with video examples

Edited by Randelph
Editing is endless!

i have a  ct-s500 and love it.  however... for what it appears you want to do (especially for b3x), i'd get (or at least check out) a numa compact 2x. DRAWBARS!!

the numa 2x plus an ipad is a serious rig. 88 keys, weighs nothing, built in (albeit tiny) speakers, lotsa midi control. i got a used one at banjo center for like 300 bucks.

59 minutes ago, d. gauss said:

i have a  ct-s500 and love it.  however... for what it appears you want to do (especially for b3x), i'd get (or at least check out) a numa compact 2x. DRAWBARS!!

the numa 2x plus an ipad is a serious rig. 88 keys, weighs nothing, built in (albeit tiny) speakers, lotsa midi control. i got a used one at banjo center for like 300 bucks.

Hmmmmm….. good suggestion, had forgotten about that board, thanks.  

While that would be a bonus I’m not much of an organ player, just getting used to having such quality sounds with the B-3X ipad app.  What I haven’t figured out is how you’re supposed to use the presets when the organ itself takes 5 octaves, 61 notes, and the reverse color keys for the presets takes another octave.  Those presets are very handy, so optimally I suppose having a 73 or 76 key board makes the most sense. 

Talk about a Casio unicorn, my Casio MZ-X500 had drawbars as well, not sure they could be used for an iPad app.  Unfortunately it was stolen.

Edited by Randelph
I write therefore I edit!

• 7 months later...

I just got this board last night. I have been searching for a midi controller and had a few issues with some of the current ones. Especially the keybed and velocity. I got to try the s1000v and s500 at a music store and ended up getting the s1000v. I wanted a midi controller to gig with. Previously sold my Casio ctk7200 which I was using as my live gigging board with my iPad. 

I have been back and forth with some other brands over the last two months. I sat down late playing with the keyboard and love the feel as a midi controller. I think Casio needs this keybed in all the newer models. I’m i interested to see how this turns out as I tend to blend sounds from the iPad and the keyboard. The good thing is it has a music stand, expression pedal and space for me to connect possibly my MacBook, audio interface or other gadgets on the speaks during live playing as I would not need them then. Can’t wait to get home tonight. Forgot how much I miss portable keyboards. Some used to look funny at my Casio 7200 until I plugged it into an amp and played the sounds. 😃They were shocked at the sound

• Love 1