Video Files on Forum ×

Pattern Seq Event Edit - Change in note duration not saved

woodman

Hi

This is driving me nuts  - tried all day and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

I am trying to make a new rhythm - and for that I am first playing some keys and then trying to change things in the event editor.

For example - I can play the C3 note and the measure, tick, event, and velocity get recorded (as I play) and I can easily change them later in Event Editor

However when I try and change the note duration (last two columns) - my new settings do not get saved. For example if I scroll down to that line, select the duration (it turns red) and change it from B001 to B002 and then exit the event editor - if I go back into the editor - it shows as B001 again - not B002.

What am I doing wrong ?

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question.

Thanks

As always - you nailed it. Thanks Brad

I was creating an illegal condition (extended duration) - so the MZ would not save it - when I reduced the duration - it works.

Which made me realize that I don't understand the B & T columns very well.

If I play (start) a note at say Beat 1, Tick 0 and give it a duration of B002 - does this mean :
1) The note will sound for 2 more beats (end at Beat 3 Tick 0) 

or

2) Will it stop sounding as soon as Beat 2 begins  (end at Beat 2 Tick 0) ?

Also (so sorry to ask so many questions - I truly appreciate your help) - I am puzzled by something .

Is it true that only one note (in the same event list) can be "active" at a time ?

I am trying to simulate a guitar strum - where some of the strings would continue sounding - as I strum downwards for example in the case of a downstroke open C chord - my "E" string would sound - even as I hit the other strings (one sound does not stop when other sounds begin - I hope I explained that clearly) 

1) So in my example, I am trying to save an event pattern for a (3/4) rhythm I am creating - in - say Chord 1

2) My first note - say C3 starts at M1B1T0

- What I discovered is that the duration that can be assigned to this note - depends on when the (start) time of the next note (say E3) on this event list

3) If E3 starts at M1B3T0, then I can set the duration of C3 as high as B002T00

- but If E3 starts at M1B2T0, then the duration of C3  can only go as high as B001T00 (or the MZ will not save)

4) Actually I want my first note to sound for the entire duration of that measure (or even longer) 

5) I think I discovered a way to cheat the system (but I am not sure - 

- first make the second note start at B3 - and assign a longer duration to the first note - then switch the start for the second note from B3 t B2 - and save (the longer duration for the first note will be saved.

- also - if I change the start time of the second note to match the first - then I can have both be active at the same time (which contradicts the question I asked)

Edited by woodman

On 1/1/2023 at 3:01 PM, woodman said:

If I play (start) a note at say Beat 1, Tick 0 and give it a duration of B002 - does this mean :
1) The note will sound for 2 more beats (end at Beat 3 Tick 0) 

Yes. It will play for 2 beats and end at 3.  

On 1/1/2023 at 3:01 PM, woodman said:

Is it true that only one note (in the same event list) can be "active" at a time ?

You can select multiple events to edit in various ways.  See my response in your previous topic.