Video Files on Forum ×

Unexpectedly inconsistent mixer problem

I have been trying lately to maximize what I can do connectivity-wise with my WK-7600.

First step was to figure out how to use a pedal footswitch to change rotary speed: I was able to connect together the Ampero Control programmable footswitch with a DOREMIDI UMH-21 MIDI host box (which in turn has USB A MIDI out that connects to the WK-7600 USB B MIDI in. You then set the Ampero to respond to connected footswitch to send CC 18 (or 12H), toggling values sent between 0 for slow and 127 for fast. Works great! Only thing is that the WK-7600 indicator slow/fast indicator light does not toggle with the change of speed though MIDI in.

To get a full organ expression pedal experience, I picked up a BOSS FV-50L, which works really well for organ dynamics!

Next, I thought it would be great to use the WK-7600 to control an iPad running apps such as GarageBand or AudioToolkit Synth One with the WIDI app also running, and then have the iPad audio out connect to the WK-7600’s Instrument line in. So i purchased a CME WIDI Master and connected this to MIDI out of the DOREMIDI UMH-21 MIDI host box.  Then i got a headphone adapter for the iPad and connected the 1/8” cable to 1/4” adapter, then to instrument line in, like the adapter so i can be charging the iPad simultaneously.

This last project is not going as successfully. I definitely can hear the iPad sound coming through the WK-7600 speakers or headphones/line out. The problem is trying to quickly, for example in a live situation, switch between WK-7600 native sound only, versus just the iPad, versus possibly a mix of the two (CME is right when they brag about low latency!) I have been trying to use the Wk-7600’s own mixer function and sliders to change volume for desired outcome. I am having trouble listening to just the iPad this way, as dropping the Track 1 (Upper part) volume to zero will often (but not always) cause the iPad to mute as well, which doesn’t make sense as the iPad I thought is under the “M/I Ext” Track. If it matters, I am trying to make sure always that DSP is off for the M/I track. Another annoyance is that mixer settings for M/I track can’t be saved into a registration.

Hope I have gave some people some new ideas, would appreciate hearing if others have any suggestions about the onboard mixer issue? Hopefully I’m just making a stupid mistake somewhere. If there is really no good solution to be found on the WK-7600 itself,  I am contemplating just getting a cheap to midprice mixer.

Edited by zamood
Unclear

Adjusting volume with the 7600's mixer is likely sending a MIDI volume change message to your iPad, effectively muting it.  Try using the mixer to turn off upper 1 part rather than adjusting the volume to minimum.  I don't think the 7600 transmits a part off message, so this might work without affecting MIDI sources.  If that doesn't work, try creating a user tone with no sound.