Video Files on Forum ×

CZ-1 MIDI OUT jack provided power question

zamood
Go to solution Solved by Jokeyman123,

I’m interested in using my CZ-1 occasionally as a MIDI controller for playing GarageBand/AudiokitSynth One/etc. instruments on my iPad. This would be using a MIDI to Bluetooth device.

Choosing between WIDI Master and WIDI Jack.

Does anybody know if the CZ synths of this vintage actually provide enough power through the MIDI out to suggest WIDI Master or do not provide power (requires WIDI Jack)?

Thank you for any help.

• Solution

If the widi needs 5V, looks like you might get a 5V output off pin 4, but depends upon the CZ-what it is supplying to the midi circuit, might be less than 5V if any electronics have deteriorated and are below spec. Best way is to stick a multimeter probe in the DIN socket on pin 4 and check the voltage out yourself. There might also be an issue with the milliamps the widi needs and what the CZ is putting out. You might have enough voltage, but not enough mA. I would the think the widi doesn't need much but as a transmitter, it might and again if the CZ is still up to specs, components can deteriorate over time and change specs. If the CZ followed the original midi spec it should work, the specs haven't changed much in the decades since the specs were created. Hopefully someone else here has one of these up and running with a CZ?

https://www.midi.org/specifications-old/item/midi-din-electrical-specification

• 2 weeks later...