Video Files on Forum ×

Solo Synth --oscillator block 5--exterior sound

I decided to try this again--now that I get around pretty good on my XW p1

here is the problem I want to use  my  line level out from other instruments ----  as  the sound source this oscillator block . I tried all the options  in editing the tone both in the tone edit page and in the mixer settings--The XW  picks up the sound source fine when the 5th oscillator is turned off  but when turned-- on-it disappears

-I tried lowering and raising threasholds--switching sync on and off  etc.

I do wonder if anyone ever got this to work=

Having such a wonderful bunch of options for outboard tones would up the ante for me

Edited by Tom banjo

I have not used that function but this article from wordpress that had articles about the XW early on describes using a solo synth preset to activate the mic/ line in, but according to this article -only envelopes, filters and LFOs become active with an external in-not the DSP effects such as reverb/chorus etc. and of course the manual is not real clear. I also remember a video Mike Martin posted on Youtube demo'ing how to simulate a vocoder using the keys and an external mic-but this isn't what you want either, might help to understand how that works.  Here is the wordpress article.

https://xwsynth.wordpress.com/2012/04/03/using-the-solosynths-external-input/

This earlier post here might be helpful-notice the stereo audio input will not work with effects, only the mic/instrument input.

I found the Mike Martin demo re/vocoder-but it doesn't explain how this is done-and it only seems to pitch-shift depending upon keys played, not very helpful either for what you want to do..  I am looking through AlenK's docs-he references his explanation in one of his manuals as to how this is done, but i can't find it at least not yet!

• Like 1

We got it thanks''I went to revisit tone 9 9 --mic -line in--had the signal going in with  only oscilattor 1(solo synth)  and the exterior block 5  -turned on--I accidently hit a key and the synth along with the missing signal appeared--

moral of story- maybe the solo oscillator turns it on when it  receives a note  command--

so to get what i wanted I turned the volume down on the  synth oscillator--and simply set it to hold a silent note--then went tp the exterior oscillator and set  to no pitch shifted signal but the synth bells and whistles work fine any regular dsps are outboard so no search there==thanks Jokeyman

• Like 1

You are most welcome.Just a little PS nothing  do with this post-been watching Donnie Laws on Youtube-some interesting history there-as poor as the Appalachian people were, still managed to have a banojo, fiddle, guitar and played wonderful music. I have Scottish/Irish heritage on my father's side-had relatives living in the Appalachians early on (Allgoods), and before the Revolution in PA, I ended back in PA in the mountains before I knew all this. Explains to me why I love Appalachian folk music, bluegrass and always had/have music in our family.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you discovered that you had to hold a key down to hear the external oscillator audio in a solo synth tone.

As for applying the XW-P1’s effects to an external input: Of course you can. If you want to do it through the solo synth as you have been trying so far, then please reference pages 43 and 44 of the latest version (Rev 5) of “The XW-P1 Companion” where how to do that is described better than I could do it here (without merely repeating myself). With respect to reverb, you will get whatever level of that you have programmed for that tone. Note that the available DSP effects are limited to those available for the solo synth (of course). 

However, you don’t have to use the solo synth to process an external input unless you want or need to apply pitch shifting or apply the solo synth’s filtering and envelopes. If all you need is to apply a DSP effect or the system chorus (it’s always one or the other if you aren’t playing a solo synth tone in Zone/Part 1, in which case you get a solo-synth DSP effect) and/or reverb, then you can apply those directly. I will again direct you to “The XW-P1 Companion”, this time to section 4 (pages 45 to 49). A big advantage is that you won’t have to hold a key down to hear the external input audio. 

Unfortunately, the XW-P1’s effects system can be a little complicated because of the XW-P1’s many modes and synthesis methods. I have done my best to try to decode it all but you may have to read section 4 in particular several times and try some of what I describe there before it starts to make sense. 

Edited by AlenK

Thanks Alen---yes I had memories of you mentioning --having to keep an oscillator open  for some reason --but had forgotten the specifics---BTW I have been through you wonderful endeavor many times and probably would never have gotten anywhere without it--

As far as  effects I never get enthralled with casios I just run the signal out to my rack processors--example out board I can set my leslie effects horn and speaker to tempo --by  running  the XW's clock out to sync it up -- I can do more of the same with other effects ---a lot of casio's Dsps  have to be manually set.---Anyway  none have the filter toys of the XW--and it has great tempo syncing on it;s filters

anyway my big problem right now is a CTX 5000 that won't communicate with The XW--