Video Files on Forum ×

versatile tone mapping

Tom banjo
Go to solution Solved by Brad Saucier,

I see these in the appendix --things such as guitar strum --I am guessing they are kinda like the non-user waves on my XW--but then again guessing causes me a lot of trouble--anyway --I am  just curious since I have not seen them available in the presets--not that I am needing them right now--

Edited by Tom banjo

• Tom banjo changed the title to versatile tone mapping

Versatile tones are preset tones with additional articulation samples assigned to various keys or various velocity thresholds.  The versatile tone map is telling you which sound samples are assigned to each key or velocity range of a preset "versatile" tone.  Preset versatile tone names and numbers are identified in the same chart for reference.  

so where can I  utilize  the sound (for example)  strum 1--I think it is available on the c7 key =but don't see (so far) where it becomes available--To try to clarify I don't see it offered on the tone -category -rhythm selections----I have not gone really deep into creating a song or basic rhythm yet  though thanks

• Solution

As we see in the chart, "Strum 1" is listed under Preset Tone #169 Versatile Nylon Guitar.  The chart shows Strum 1 is assigned to note C7 and will sound when played within the velocity range of 1-127 (the full range).  

To play this sound, press the tone button, select tone# 169 Versatile Nylon Guitar.  Octave shift the keyboard as needed to reach the C7 note and press that key.  You will hear a muted strum noise. 

Now to be clear, "strum" does not mean a chord will be played on a guitar, or a rhythm will be played. The "strum" sample is simply an effect sound.  It's the sound of muted guitar strings played with a single strum motion.  These samples are in the keyboard mainly for use by programmers creating preset rhythms. 

One important thing to know about the Versatile tones and their sound effects - as Brad mentions, they are not intended for "live play", but rather for programmed use, like in MIDI files or keyboard rhythms.  Specifically with regard to rhythms, the sound effects must be used in non-transposed tracks; for example, in Intro/Ending tracks that have a Chord Conversion Table setting of "Intro No Change" (which is typical).   However, if you try to use them in a typical variation track (say, with a CCT of Chord Basic or Chord 7th), the sound effect notes also get transposed, potentially creating some inappropriate sounds.  Some internal preset rhythms on the keyboard do use Versatile Tone FX in Variation parts, but they get around this problem by placing the sound effects into a second "Intro No Change" track, separate from the chord/melody track.  Unfortunately, when creating User rhythms through the interface on the keyboard, they do not provide a way to set up multiple tracks for a single part like that.

Edited by Mclandy

Yes  I could not   see much worth while --just punching it in and pecking around--It is going to take some rereading to get all you have said mclandy but-- it won't be wasted  -- I have already delved into rhythm creation ---

a question to anyone  I have on this is --are  these  mostly to be used with velocity switching  another subject that I ignored --when Alen K was kind enough to write about--thanks

PS

I just revisited an Alen K companion article on velocity switching in hex layers -of course we are not in hex layers here ==but similar --he says that when playing live  -specific velocity  points were not even  possible for the best  of plastic ivory  ticklers--so that falls into a programming at leisure scenario- 

Edited by Tom banjo

Right.  While note velocity plays a role in both hex layer tones and Versatile tones, the purpose is slightly different.  With Versatile tones it gives you access to nuanced sounds from the instrument (muted, hammered, harmonic, etc.).  But as you say, even the best plastic ivory ticklers can't play precisely enough to use that capability live.  However, you could potentially make a "best can do" attempt at it while recording a song, and then go into Song Editing Mode on the keyboard, and use the Event Editor to "correct" each note to the precise velocity you want.  Or export the recorded song as a MIDI, take it over to a MIDI editor on a computer, and touch it up that way.  Kind of tedious, though.

I usually just record old school to my outboard tascam-- I am a track stacker  from early 70s--The tascam DPO 1  puts out  midi clock  for automatic click track starting beat 1 with the button push  -old habits--hard to break

back to the velocity subject I never could get my pads correct on my alesis drum machine ===When I ran across the  velocity setting capability  on my XW's step sequencer ,I was very impressed-- I have never revisited the alesis's programing --it had settings but they did not do the job==

I am definitely looking forward to making some personal rhythms on the CTX--

I do use computer programs on imported wave files --but that is about it--- so far --but who knows--thanks

Edited by Tom banjo