Re-naming Split User Tones

Go to solution Solved by casionoobie,

Hi,

As far as I can see, before you register and re-name  a user tone, you must always have the tone set to "U1". No problem with that.  When you recall the stored register it shows the new name of the tone. (in my case the name of a song in our setlist).

However, when you recall a 'split' tone, (eg you have separate tones for U1 and L1), the display shows the tone for L1, which hasn't been re-named.

You then need to long press "Tone" till the display shows  the Upper 1 setting, and hey presto the song name appears.

Is there any way to get round this, so the song name will appear straightaway?

It's a CTX3000 by the way.

Thanks anyone....!

Edited by casionoobie
Additional info needed.

All tone editing is done with "U1" (upper 1 part).  To create a lower 1 tone, you'll need to plan ahead, keeping in mind that upper 1 edits will eventually be used as your lower 1 tone.  Once your tone is edited, renamed, and saved to the user tone bank, you can select that tone as your "L1" (lower 1) tone for a split setup.  Store this as a user registration.  Next time you recall this registration, L1 tone name is displayed, since this is the default tone displayed for split setups.  

I suspect the tone that gets shown when loading a Registration is not so much an intentional "default", as it is simply an artifact of the order that the keyboard parts are stored/processed in the registration data.  For example, if a registration has a U1 and U2 tones enabled (but no lower tones), the display shows the U2 tone when the registration is loaded.  And if it contains lower tones, then they get shown.  In other words, what gets displayed is the last tone loaded, dependent upon which keyboard parts are used in the registration, and they load in order from U1 to L2.

So if you want to use a Tone name in your registration as a way of identifying a specific song "setup", that tone name/number needs to be assigned to the last keyboard part (in order of U1, U2, L1, and L2) that is enabled in that registration.

Edited by Mclandy

• Solution

Thanks Brad and Mclandy, I understand now.

As Brad says, I need to plan ahead and employ a bit of 'lateral thinking'. 

I've now got the song titles displaying on the L1 tones which is what I wanted, albeit that the tone number doesn't match the setlist. To put the icing on the cake, as Mclandy says,  sometime in the future I need to start from scratch and think carefully which status (U1 or L1) I need to register first, so that the songs displayed increase in strict order, 801 Song A, 802, 803 etc.

Thanks again for the invaluable help!

Just to be clear, I don't think it matters what order you create, store, or name your User Tones (that is, the numbering of the User Tone "slot", 801, 802, etc., is not important).  But when you want one of those specially-named tones to appear in the display when you call up a Registration, it needs to be the one assigned to the last active keyboard part (U1,U2,L1,L2) in that registration.  Because that's the one that will end up being displayed.

If this seems complicated, it's because you are trying to use a Tone name as sort of a roundabout way to "name" a Registration.

Edited by Mclandy