Video Files on Forum ×

Compressor/limiter

Devoman

The band complains a lot about the levels on my keyboard being all over the place between patches - I use a lot of patches. I had a moment of inspiration and thought 'I bet there is a master compressor or something in here somewhere' and low and behold....

BUT, how do you use it? I played a little bit, but I'd like to know what the result of the various options are. I feel sure that's exactly what it is for - or would the limiter be better? I don't want to lose expressionability, but I agree it needs to be a less various range for the sound guy. 

I think Brad is onto something. I think you can set registrations to pre-defined dynamic levels for individual tones in the registration? I have to be in front of my 560 as i forget if this is so. 

I have studied the compression settings on my PX560-seems like it is a compressor/limiter combined. Are you trying to process for recording with the band or for live venues? Makes a difference. Pianos/ ep's in particular are extremely dynamic and might benefit most from limiting, although the PX560 manual is not too precise about settings that differentiate limiting from compression. Too much compression may do the opposite of what you want. And since the PX560 uses a compressor as a master out DSP-it might not solve the problem of keeping various tones relatively equal throughout a set or sets, unless again you are recording and need to have the gain automatically set to not go beyond a peak level.

For live playing-I much prefer an expression or volume pedal (or both depending!)  to control individual tone  levels that might vary for each tone or group of tones I would need. And a good monitor speaker to hear my own levels. Recording-or going through the house's PA system-whole different problem. If you have a soundman, he may just have to ride the gain on his/her mixing board to keep you fairly balanced as you switch from one tone to another or you will have to do it yourself by monitoring your own levels.