Video Files on Forum ×

Help me pick

Go to solution Solved by Jay C,

17 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

Welcome to the forums.  What are your musical goals for a keyboard?  

Thanks to start with short term goals are to master all major and minor scales 

After that to play some of my favourite pieces of music just at home for pleasure 

Either one of them would work well for that purpose, as both have excellent sound quality and pretty well equal to one another in that regard.  The CT-X3000 adds more arranger/workstation keyboard functions over the CT-S400, so if you eventually wanted more sophisticated auto accompaniment and onboard recorder features, that model would fit those needs.  The CT-S400 has a new key  bed design that feels great, and the user interface is much less dependent on reading a user manual to become accustomed to it.  

Personally, I think I would only choose the CT-X3000 if I wanted to create my own auto accompaniment patterns or wanted to record sophisticated backing tracks entirely in the keyboard.  Otherwise, the CT-S400 would be my choice.  

• Like 1

It might be worth noting that if you do just enjoy playing along with existing auto-accompaniment tracks (not necessarily creating your own), the CT-X3000 has 4 variations/fills for each rhythm, while the CT-S400 has only 2.  That being said, sometimes the differences between variations are pretty subtle.  But in some cases, the extra variations can make a big difference in the way a song goes between verse and chorus, or changes dynamics as it goes along.  And of course, if you do start creating your own rhythms (or even just making minor "tweaks" to the built-in ones), the extra variations can give a lot more flexibility within a song.