Video Files on Forum ×

Great demo by Mike Martin

Chas

Ooooooo!!!!!!......he had the rarer gold-tinted XW (envy). I'd barely know how to switch mine on 10 years ago if it wasn't for dear Mike Martin, got to love him, seriously.

Coincidentally I just spent about 2 hours yesterday revisiting many XW functions including all hex layers-have uploaded a few simple "analog" type sounds using hex layers in the PX560 hearing how it compares to the XW hex's. Not to be an overt fanboy-I am but despite what others may say the acoustic and electric pianos are a pleasant surprise-this compared to my Korg M3, Alesis Fusions, endless huge acoustic piano soundfonts and the selection of FM pianos in the Yamaha QY100 and SY77....I'll stop now.

No I won't:boing: just had regular coffee for a change, not decaf uh-oh..:taz:

Chas got me going with my AM coffee.....re-auditioned all the organ tones while at it. Even with all this other equipment including a Ferrofish 4000b (very nice), Line 6 Rotomachine also no slouch plus my old Equinox which has  killer organ options, why I've kept it for almost 30 years...

Was not disappointed in the XW organ tones and built-in leslie effect.

All this other stuff may have advantages in terms of programmability for organ tones, there is a depth in some of these machines that can be achieved with outboard DSP pumped into the XW, or plugging the XW outputs back into it's inputs (and from 2013 thank you Gnomo Alegre, AlenK and a few others)

but with the complexity of these others it is super nice to be able to push a button to add 2 layers of percussion and switch the Leslie effect from slow to fast the same way. Simplicity is sometimes best. Trying to cut back on music equipment, every time I re-visit the XW it stays.

John Belushi said, "It's not over until I say it is!!!!! Could be the XW talking.

Belushi edit.jpg

Edited by Jokeyman123
  • Love 1

Thanks for the share @Chas

The XW is so wonderful. I do believe that exactly patch was recreated in a PX-5S factory preset, but it does NOT sound the same as it does on the XW. There is a character to the XW's sound that just works, especially in context with other instruments. 

2 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

switch the Leslie effect from slow to fast the same way. Simplicity is sometimes best. Trying to cut back on music equipment, every time I re-visit the XW it stays.

I don't have it any more but the GSi Burn effects pedal was MIDI controllable. That was always my go-to Leslie simulation because of the ease of integration. 

2 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

despite what others may say the acoustic and electric pianos are a pleasant surprise

Electric pianos specifically, just take one of the factory presets, reduce the release time to make it snappy.  Really, nice sound!

• Thanks 1