Video Files on Forum ×

Initial Impressions of PX-S5000 (Review)

I really thought long and hard about whether I should upgrade from my Casio PX-S1000 to the "natural" successor PX-S5000, to a PX-S7000 or to something completely different.

Then, when a dealer presumably had too many returns of the PX-S5000, he offered them at a 35% discount. Spontaneous decision: For so little money, I'll just try out the PX-S5000.

It arrived today and I tested it briefly, using local sound generation and Pianoteq.

In short, I am very satisfied! My first impressions:

• The keyboard surface has become much finer. It's now more or less the same as that of competitors with Ivory Touch. I also loved the perhaps somewhat exaggerated texturing of the PX-S1000. However, the new fine texture feels very velvety, valuable and "right".
  • The keys now play much more finely. The noise is reduced and also the impact at the bottom. Overall, I can control the dynamics much more finely. From extremely quiet to very loud, it's somehow easier to adjust.
  • Overall, the keyboard is now much more similar to the competitors I played in the shop.
  • The sound is slightly different to the PX-S1000. Not totally different. But in nuances. A little more defined, more polished and more balanced. I like the classy sound. But you have to realise that competitors have a more aggressive piano sound, with more metallic components. Some are looking for that. But I like the round sound of the Casios better.
  • Pianoteq is extremely fun with the PX-S5000. The possibilities of Pianoteq together with the extremely finely graduated keyboard allow a new level of control over the sound for me. And yes: Pianoteq still sounds much better than the built-in local sound. But that's to be expected.

Conclusion: Although the PX-S5000 has not completely changed its character compared to the PX-S1000, it is still a significant upgrade overall. The keyboard in particular is velvety smooth and allows for very finely balanced dynamics.

I think that the cheaper devices with the older keyboard (PX-S1100 et al) are also quite good. And certainly not limiting for beginners. But if you want to play very sensitively, then you will definitely benefit from the new keyboards (PX-S5/6/7000).

I am happy. 🙂

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tom_CH said:

Well, yes and no. 😀

Both of my devices clearly snap into place. I think we can see that from the videos. Shortly before the end, you feel a clear resistance when plugging in, which you have to overcome. Then also a little when pulling out. Even if it's not as strong as with other devices, you can feel and hear the jack click into place.

But I would also be reluctant to send in a device because of something like this. The potential for causing other damage is much greater than living with jacks that don't clamp perfectly. 

Hi Tom CH.
Sorry for the late reply but I couldn't add another post yesterday because the system wouldn't let me.
I read your impressions of the piano and I agree with you on everything.
It's really a pleasure to play that keyboard and the internal sounds are also very nice.

Being my first keyboard of this brand I can only say that I have the impression that it is not made to last long. But at that price you can't expect more.

The things that disappointed me and that perhaps could have been addressed better are the use of Bluetooth which honestly seems useless to me.

Unless I understand correctly how to use it and I could be wrong.

For example, I thought you could send music to the device with any phone app but I only managed through the CASIO app.

And this disappointed me a little.

And obviously the fact that via USB you can only send midi and not audio, another thing that would have been very useful.

But, again, at that price it's a good buy.

54 minutes ago, Tom_CH said:

Bluetooth Audio should be possible.

Enable this with FUNCTION + C#1 key at the same time pressed.

On your playing device then add the new BT device for pairing.

Yes, that's what I did.

But once paired I can only send songs that I have locally on my phone and only through the casio app.

But in a world where everyone listens via streaming it would have been nice, and honestly I thought this was the case when I purchased it, that it could be used through an app like Spotify or similar to send music to the piano. 
On some reviews I had read that it could be used as a BT speaker, but obviously they was wrong.
Although the review was talking about the 1100 and not the 5000.
But I think it's the same from that point of view.

On 12/16/2023 at 7:45 PM, Brad Saucier said:

I took care of it.  Moved the jack conversation to the existing thread by @Francus.   The review is here for now.  I'm not sure the best way to move the Bluetooth audio topic.  

Sorry for the confusion in the thread and you did a great job splitting topics.
Don't worry about the bluetooth issue, I've solved it.
You can stream audio from any application including Spotify.
Thanks a lot!

• Like 1