Video Files on Forum ×

Best Fit weighted keys for a full time musician... need usb and midi

Go to solution Solved by Brad Saucier,

Quick background... used to a modx8, have an rd2000 doing full time local and regional work as solo, dueling pianist, and full band. I keybass and keydrum a lot. 

I really like the feel of the casio and got a cdp. sounds are great, but:
1. i need a midi out

2. not too excited about the lack of 1/4 jacks, but it's not a dealbreaker since i'm (mostly) using as a simple controller. 

3. a little concerned about durability transferring from gig to gig... tried one many years ago and the keybed kept glitching. 

4. having a drumkit is nice but not a deal breaker.

so what weighted casio would you suggest?

Edited by keslavi

• Solution

PX-560 or PX-5S.  5S has more MIDI controller specific features.  Others with MIDI ports are PX-360 and PX-350.  All of these will have the same physical action as the later CDP models, not to be confused with CDP-S models (different action).  All of them have similar drum kit tones, but the 560 and 5S have detailed drum kit editing tools that dedicated drum machines would be jealous of.  All of them have 1/4" line outs.  

thank you, i've gotten a px-5s, though the sounds don't initiallly impress me as much as cdp.  going to sit down with both of them and do some real A/B testing. 

Edited by keslavi
was going to ask additional question and figured it out myself... DOH

19 hours ago, keslavi said:

thank you, i've gotten a px-5s, though the sounds don't initiallly impress me as much as cdp.  going to sit down with both of them and do some real A/B testing. 

There are additional sounds (really they are reprogramming of the sounds that come in the PX-5S as you can't add sounds to it) available in the PX-5S area of this site that you might prefer. The PX-5S is highly programmable and many have found that tweaking some of the sounds has made them happier.

58 minutes ago, pianokeyjoe said:

Since we are talking best weighted keys fit for a full time musician, Can I ask what Casio digital piano uses REAL wood keys?

This is borderline different topic, but Celviano Grand Hybrid GP series uses full length wood keys.  

As far as portable digital pianos, PX-S5000, S6000, S7000 uses hybrid wood and resin keys.  

• Love 1

32 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

This is borderline different topic, but Celviano Grand Hybrid GP series uses full length wood keys.  

As far as portable digital pianos, PX-S5000, S6000, S7000 uses hybrid wood and resin keys.  

YES!! Thankyou! Now there are the best fit weighted keys for a full time musician if I ever heard and saw :D.