Video Files on Forum ×

My MZ-X500 won't start after 12 days updating firmware

I just bought a used MZ-X500 in a bit of a bruised condition, but when I tried it it was good and usable, considering it was 35% cheaper than the current used market price - maybe I should have been suspicious because of the price.

As soon as I got home I installed the latest firmware, and there were no problems.

Until this morning, when I tried for the first time to connect with external speakers.

I don't know if this is related, but here is the sequence of events:

• First I attached a connector cable from one of the outputs to the speaker.
  • Then I turned on the start button, the screen lit up until it said CASIO, then stopped.

I waited for about 10-15 minutes, finally I turned it off by pressing the button normally.

Any ideas why this is happened? please advise.

Right now my keyboard can not be started, it stopped after animation, and Casio Logo, and just freeze there, even after I waited for 45 minutes.

I have tried the factory settings steps (pressing tempo up and down before start button), but don't do anything.

The off button still works, so I still have hope.

I don't have time and stomach to repaired it my self - I have a history to breaks my own personal things I tried to repair.

Most likely I will go the repair man, but if only after I know what's wrong- that would be ideal.

Hi,

thank you for the MZ-X300 Service Manual. I too own a MZ-X 300.

I believe there was a static voltage coming from your obviously powererd speaker which caused a damage in the MZ-X 500.

The factory reset won't help in this case.

You may try to enter the Service Mode and check the functional blocks. Before you enter the service mode remove all cables (not the power cable) and USB thumb drive (if connected).

How to enter Service Mode? Read the MZ-X500 Service Manual you provided 😉

If the Service Mode does not work either there is a electronic fault or a firmware problem.

You may try to re-flash the MZ-X 500 Firmware from the USB thumb drive.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Popsel

Thanks for your responses.

New update.

My keyboard works again.

I originally wanted to do Popsel's suggestion, but before that I checked the physical condition of the keyboard once again.

After I looked, it turned out there was a crack behind the keyboard next to the left (L OUT) connector. I'm not sure if it was like that when I bought it.

Ok, that means there is a possibility that the connector has a problem.

I tried again to do a factory reset, but this time I waited a little longer, and voila, it turned on after I didn't know how long.

After I felt the system for a while, there was a feeling that the touchscreen was a bit chaotic and the response to pressing buttons was very slow.

So I did a factory reset again. And after turning it on, I left the keyboard on without using it at all for about 15 minutes.

And after that I felt the system was normal. I reinstalled my active speaker once again, but I used the right (R OUT) connector, and it turned out that the sound came out good and normal.

But this means the OUT connector cannot be used in stereo because  I don't want to try the left (L OUT) Connector just yet.

I want to first look for parts that might be damaged, I hope the service manual is useful for this.

In conclusion:

• First: pay good attention when buying used keyboards,
  • Second: be careful if you have children under 12 years old at home, sensitive electronic items should be placed in a safe place.

For the last part, I don't mean accusing my son, but just reminding him 😁

• Like 1