Video Files on Forum ×

Newbie needs MIDI assistance and clarification

JFoshee

I have a PX-5 and am new to MIDI. I know it's been around awhile , but that's beside the point. I would like to use a foot triggered device to tell the PX-5 to play a sequence of notes  that are pre recorded on the Casio then change key when I press a different pedal on the foot triggered device. A simple example is any 3 cord country song with a simple bass progression.  Will the PX-5 work as a sequencer for a series of pre set notes that I can set to one MIDI channel, then when I press a different foot pedal set to a different MIDI channel it will change to the key?  

I have watched lots of YT videos on MIDI and several on the Casio, but no clear answer yet. I already have the piano but there may be a better way to do what I want. Hell, I'm not much of a piano player anyway.  Any help is appreciated. Video links, words of wisdom, what ever. At end of day I'd like to start out just playing a little guitar and being able to change the preset bass pattern by foot. 

Hmm, that's an ambitious task for the PX-5S since it's not designed to be an arranger keyboard.  What's it is designed to do is record and playback short phrases you can trigger by pressing keys.  Pressing the keys can also transpose the phrase up or down from the original key it was recorded.  Phrases can loop up to 16 measures and a up to 4 phrases can be layered using all 4 zones together.  I would suggest recording, saving and assigning to zones any phrases you need.  Practice triggering the phrases, performing playback of them by triggering them from the keys.  Once you're happy, record the performance as an audio file to the USB flash drive.  Use that as your backing track to practice along with.  

Many thanks. You have saved me hours of trying to make this work. I believe there is a better way to make work what I want to do. Even if I need another device.  What device would you recommend for this application if any? I can't be the first person to try this? 

You might want to study over the older Yamaha MFC series of midi foot controllers. There are several in that series, with the MFC-10 having the most number of foot switches, plus a programmable expression pedal. I am not all that familiar with these but am pretty certain each footswitch can be programmed to a separate midi channel, and a separate cc function although I have not studied the manual.  I think this may be what you are after. Its unfortunate with the advent of USB midi, some of the better/more programmable midi control devices are not being made anymore. The Behringer BCR's are quite programmable, but do not have built in footswitches, are more "control surfaces" for hardware and software-need to be manipulated with faders and control knobs.

Edited by Jokeyman123