Video Files on Forum ×

amp sim vx15tb

Go to solution Solved by Christopher Orme,

Typically you would start with one of the "Clean Guitar" sounds (aka, "Telecaster-like"), and then add DSP amp modeling to that.  But other than that, I don't believe there is any "goes with" relationship.  It just depends on the sound you're looking for.

Edited by Mclandy

Hi thanks for your reply i found the ac 30 on guitar 128 but the vx15 top boost is 075 in settings according to the manual but in the dsp list it dosen't  tell you the name of the amp it just says drive and cabs with no identity of what they are. hope some one can help.

kind regards Chris.😄

It sounds like you might be looking for this list that a few of us put together a while ago, associating amp names with the abbreviations in the manual.  Still, keep in mind that the differences may be subtle, and these are just synthesized models.  I believe I saw somewhere that they are based on Kemper amp profiler software.

Also, I just realized that you may be looking at the built-in tones (like "128 Clean Guitar 2") and seeing that they have a DSP defined, with a particular amp type as a parameter in the DSP.  The keyboard obviously does not provide a complete pre-defined list of built-in guitar tones for every possible type of Amp model available.  So if you want to try out a particular amp type, you need to start with one of the built in tones and create your own User Tone from it, and then add (or modify) DSP settings in that User Tone to choose the amp type you want.

Edited by Mclandy
  • Like 1

Hi thanks for your reply i found the ac 30 on guitar 128 but the vx15 top boost is 075 in settings according to the manual but in the dsp list it dosen't  tell you the name of the amp it just says drive and cabs with no identity of what they are. hope some one can help.

kind regards Chris.😄

Hi first of all thank you to every one that has helped with lots of info, i found the amp i was looking for on 830 dsp list it dose not tell you what amp it is you have to go on the dsp list to find out. I setup guitar 128 in the user tone and then went to 830 dsp witch has the ac 15 top boost amp the one Hank Marvin used but unless i am doing something wrong i don't think it is possible you can only use the dsp that is in that tone. As you have guessed i am trying to get the shadows sound as i used to play.

again thanks to every body who helped. Kind Regards Chris.😃

A preset DSP effect can contain up to 4 modules.  This forms an effects chain. Each module is a specific effect algorithm.  For example "phaser + EQ". 

You can edit any preset tone and select any DSP effect chain from any other preset tone and save that as a new user tone.  What you can't do is mix and match "modules" from different DSP effects chains.  If you found the amp sim you like in a chain, you can use that chain for any tone and save it as a user tone. 

As Brad points out, amp type selection is only one parameter of the Amp Cabinet effect, which is only one possible module in a DSP chain containing up to 4 effects.   But to create a tone in which you can select a particular amp, you first have to select (as part of the tone editing process) a DSP (which is not necessarily the same as Tone) that actually includes Amp Cabinet as one of its effects modules.  In the Appendix document, the DSP section lists DSPs 801 through 900, and the effects modules contained in each.  So you could easily find a DSP in that list which contains Amp Cabinet, and apply it to your edited Tone.  Unfortunately, the appendix does not list the additional set of DSPs that are associated with built-in tones.  However, a while back I created a complete list of all available DSPs (those included in built-in Tones, in addition to those in the 801-900 range).  The document shows each DSP, and which specific effects modules it contains, and in which order in the effect chain.  I'll include the link to the forum thread below.

Not to add to the confusion, but there is also the Distortion effect module, which does contain a parameter to select between a much smaller set of amp types.  But the core purpose of that effect is to add the guitar distortion sound, with the amp type being just a parameter to tweak that effect.  But if what you are really looking for a Distortion guitar, you might want to choose a DSP with that effect instead of the Amp Cabinet.  I don't believe there are any DSPs available which contain both Distortion and Amp Cabinet effects modules, so that's an either/or decision.

So again, to experiment with Amp Cabinet sounds, you need to start with the desired Tone (most likely some Clean Guitar tone, but you can actually do this with any tone, and it doesn't really matter whether it already has a built-in DSP or not), then use the Edit button to start editing the Tone, and scroll right/left to find the DSP settings.  Choose a DSP/Tone (1-900) that contains the Amp Cabinet effect, then find that specific module in the chain, and go in and change the Type (cabinet type) parameter to the desired cabinet.  If you can't tell what cabinet it is from the abbreviations in the manual, refer to the document link I posted earlier which expands on all the cabinet names.  As you change the cabinet Type parameter, you can play the sound on the keyboard to hear what each one sounds like.

Just remember, any defined DSP can be applied to any Tone, although the chain of 1 to 4 special effects modules in each DSP definition is fixed.  However, as part of Tone editing, you can select the DSP you want to apply, and change any of the parameters within those effects modules (like Amp Cabinet Type).

Yes, it's a bit involved, but once you figure out how to change/edit DSPs, it becomes much easier.  Here's the link to the forum thread containing the full list of DSPs available, along with their effects chains:

Edited by Mclandy
  • Like 1