Video Files on Forum ×

PX-5S Data Editor - Now Available

Jared Beaney

Downloaded and fooling around with it because I can't sleep. Looks great!

Can't seem to open files from the parameter editor without being connected to the board. Anyone get around this?

I have the same problem.

Downloaded and fooling around with it because I can't sleep. Looks great!

Can't seem to open files from the parameter editor without being connected to the board. Anyone get around this?

That is not possible. If the keyboard is not connected it does not know which sounds you want to edit.

Hi Jared and Mike,

I placed the ZPF files where the editor itself suggested (Documents\Casio\EMI\DataEditorPX5S\Data\ ); when I open the "file transfer" window if I select "tones" all is well and good: I can see on the left side my tones and on the right side the user slots, where I can drag and drop the tones. On the other hand if I choose "zones" I can see the ZPF files on the left side, while on the right side there are no user slots but only presets (which I don't want to overwrite). It's very likely that I am missing something, but I don't know what it is.

Any help is appreciated.

On the other hand if I choose "zones" I can see the ZPF files on the left side, while on the right side there are no user slots but only presets (which I don't want to overwrite). It's very likely that I am missing something, but I don't know what it is.

Any help is appreciated.

The 100 Stage Settings are all presets, with no blank slots. If you want to keep the presets, you can transfer them all to your computer first, (drag from right of screen to the left). The only option to load your own Stage Setting .ZPF file is to overwrite one of the already used slots.

• Like 1

You'd have to take the time to save tones that are used within Stage Settings as individual tones.  The one reason we haven't done that yet is that we're trying to maximize the real-time control features of these sounds.  It is the Stage Setting that determines the function of the knobs/sliders.  There are many user tone slots available in multiple categories so can take advantage of this but it will take some time.

Thank you for your reply Mike; maybe a future update of the editor will make this possible? Or maybe will it be possible to save Stage Settings on -say- a pendrive to recall them later at will? After all, if there is a user area for Tones, why not one for Stage Settings as well?

Dreamer,

If you have copied all of the ZPF files to your computer, you can then copy these from your computer into the MUSICDAT folder of a USB drive to be able to load load them as needed directly to the PX5S via the USB drive.

Overwriting the Stage Settings with the ones you have downloaded from here will then be ok as you have all the original presets backed up on your USB and/or computer.

Dreamer,

If you have copied all of the ZPF files to your computer, you can then copy these from your computer into the MUSICDAT folder of a USB drive to be able to load load them as needed directly to the PX5S via the USB drive.

Overwriting the Stage Settings with the ones you have downloaded from here will then be ok as you have all the original presets backed up on your USB and/or computer.

Jared,

excellent suggestion. I will do as you said.

Thanks. :) 

If you click the "Downloads" tab above and go to the first posted Stage Setting, it is a .zip file of all the Stage Settings for version 1.10 so you need'nt worry about "losing" the presets if you decide to change something.  I think the intent is that all of the Stage Settings should be thought of as "user".  Mike and Casio have done a great job giving us a wide variety of possibilities for the settings but I am sure no one at Casio will be insulted if we modify or, in fact, overhaul the location and nature of these for our various purposes...provided we share our good ones in the Downloads section!

When "Writing" or "Saving", press the down-arrow button and you will see the cursor undeneath the Stage Setting name (not easy to see due to dotted line already under stage setting name).  You can then either use the + and - buttons or Knob 2 to change the name.  You move from letter to letter with the side arrows of course.  I think it is probably not the best constructed function on the 5S as the setting name does not become highlighted and/or bracketed to show it is an edit target like other things do.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

Will it be possible in the futur to have an API to communicate with the instrument ? To be able to write our own software ? Maybe a publication of the files format used by the data editor and the process to retreive and send files to the casio.

Thanks.

Communication with the device is done by SystemExclusive Data. 
The documentation you can find here http://support.casio.com/pdf/008/nil%20%28PX5_MIDI_E_ver110_1305%29.pdf

You "just" have to use the MIDI OUT / MIDI IN buffer to send and receive Data.

Maybe you are able to modify the DataEditor Software.

SourceCode seems to be available here http://support.casio.com/download.php?cid=008&pid=1342

Good luck

Ralf

Thank you for the answer. I will have a look on the midi doc. For the source code, this is only the QT source which is a library for cross platform user interface development. The Data Editor source is not supplied.

Thomas

I'm pretty sure you if you want to edit the source code it's done to the .dll files that are with the .exe files. Not really a heavy coder, so I'm not sure what that entails. I don't think it's for the faint-of-heart though. :wacko: