Video Files on Forum ×

Filter and AMP, what's the difference?

Dshoff

I have been working on a string sound and I have found that when I work in the AMP section, I can change attacks, releases, decays and other things.  But when I mess with things in the FILTER section I don't hear anything happen to the sound at all.  So, what do the things do in the FILTER section?  

Thanks,

David

• Like 1

The AMP section gives you the ability to configure the amplitude (the volume) of the sound, shaping it along the timings and levels you like. The FILTER section gives you the ability to configure the filter timings and levels that apply to the sound. To hear some audible difference, keep in mind that some sound reacts to filter variations much more than others (depending on the type of sound), and that you need to configure also CUTOFF and RESONANCE in the filter section.

Newbie, I am VERY new to this stuff.  Could you dumb it down for me?  Pretend I know nothing about this stuff (that's just about right).  I have been messing with the filter stuff on a string sound.  Would that be a sound that would not be affected much by the filter variations?  I'm hoping that I am not the only one that doesn't know about this stuff!  I'm a teacher and I always tell my students to ask ask ASK!

David,

The filter does what it's name suggest.  It filters out some of the sound. Different filter types (Low Pass, High Pass, Band Pass) filter sound differently. The low pass filter (most commonly used) can remove high frequency sound while allowing the low frequencies to pass by.   The cutoff point is the dividing line between what sound is passed and what is removed.  The Filter can be automatically controlled by the filter envelope.  The filter envelope controls the value (level) of the cutoff point over a period of time.  

A couple of reasons why you may not be hearing your tweaks.  Cutoff is set too high or Envelope depth is 000.