Video Files on Forum ×

PX-5S and Linux

linuxuser

"Class compliant" is a term which affirms that a device conforms to a universal driver model.  To clarify, "Class compliant" doesn't mean "driver-less".  It just means that a device doesn't require a custom driver supplied by the manufacturer of that device.  The class compliant device can work with a universal driver which is usually pre-installed in most operating systems like Windows and Mac.

Having said that..the question still remains.  Does Linux contain a class driver in it's system for use with midi devices?  I would think it does.  But I don't know Linux.

Here's a bit of reading on this.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_driver

I am running the Fedora 14 Linux distribution, which dates back to 2010.   I have tried connecting my PX-5S to my computer through USB-MIDI.  After a few seconds, a device file appeared in /dev, along with a convenient symbolic link /dev/midi1.  I then had fun sending all sorts of MIDI commands, as well as reading the commands sent by the PX-5S, which it turns out, was set to send High-Resolution MIDI.  I don't remember, though, whether I needed to be root to access the /dev/midi1 file.

In short, it worked for me on Linux.

• Like 2