Video Files on Forum ×

Piano samples in the PX-5S

oceanofocd

Hello everyone,

It's my impression that the PX-5S doesn't list the names of the actual pianos that its sounds come from. I'm strongly considering buying a PX-5S, but hesitating partly because of this.

Nord seems to indicate the origin of their samples, at least to some degree — see the Sound List at http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libraries/product-libraries/stage-pianos/nord-stage-ex/nord-stage-ex-factory-sounds

Why doesn't Casio indicate the original instruments, or at least manufacturers names, that the sounds come from? 

Thank you.

Why doesn't Casio indicate the original instruments, or at least manufacturers names, that the sounds come from? 

From what I understand, there would be trademark issues if a digital piano maker uses an acoustic piano makers name without permission and that would probably involve a licensing deal of some kind. Of course, not a problem for a company like Yamaha or Kawai who makes and samples their own pianos to say they sampled a certain model under their brand,

If a company does state what piano they use they probably have some sort of arrangement with the piano maker.

As for what piano the PX-5S uses, it shouldn't matter as long as you like the sound. But to my ears, it sounds like a very high quality concert grand. Maybe something German. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, guys. I wonder if even Yamaha and Kawai sample other pianos in addition to their own, to provide a more well-rounded set of piano patches. 

Would Casio's Mike Martin be willing to give me an official word on why Casio doesn't indicate where the PX-5S piano sounds come from? 

I would dare say that except for Yamaha and Kawai for reasons stated above, most digital pianos sample the same brand of German-built piano. Sometimes they'll sample different ones and say German Grand, Japanese Grand, etc. to give you a clue but not always.  (I'm leaving out sample-based virtual instruments and plug-ins here, because they nearly always say who they sample.)

In the end, Brad and Scott are right. If you like it, you like it, if you don't you don't. [boy, that sounds much better than it reads!] I wouldn't let it bother me nor prevent me from buying a keyboard if I liked it but I didn't know what piano they sampled. Even if I did know what they sampled, that doesn't mean I like the particular piano they sampled, as they can all sound a bit different due to a variety of factors.

One more thing - the PX-5S has one sample set that the acoustic pianos are based on. All the variations available are due to deft programming and the the amazing programmability of the PX-5S. So underneath it all, it's the same one with a lot of great options.

• Like 1

If you read the description of the new Grand Hybrids, you will see that, indeed, the only brand name mentioned is the one that Casio has some sort of official relationship with. The other pianos brands are referred to as "Hamburg" and "Vienna" - but if you know your pianos its pretty easy to figure out what ones they are talking about.  :D 

"Casio has developed a new AiR* Grand Sound Source that enables beautiful sound and rich reverberation just like a grand piano. It provides the sound profiles of three grand piano styles with a long history: the Berlin Grand, which is known for its elegant clear sound and a reverberation that gives each performance rich melodic color; the Hamburg Grand, which delivers gorgeous power and strength with plenty of string resonance; and the Vienna Grand, which provides a calm and stately sound with rich bass and beautiful tones when the keys are played softly. Of the three, the Berlin Grand sound was developed in collaboration with C. Bechstein, a piano maker with a history of over 160 years. As a result, the new models have moved beyond the realm of conventional digital pianos, demonstrating a commitment to nuanced sound creation."

http://www.casio-intl.com/asia-mea/en/news/2015/gp-500bp/
  • Like 2