Video Files on Forum ×

MIDI out & line/in-out audio hum, noise

Tmdj.alby

Hi! First of all sorry for my bad english, I'm from Italy and I am a new user of the PX5s and the forum.

I had some trouble when using my usb soundcard with pc and the privia.

I want to use the internal sounds of the px5s in conjunction with a vst instrument from computer.

The USB soundcard is able to mix both sources: the external sound (from line-out of the privia) and the signal generated by the pc.

I connected the midi-out of keyboard with midi-in of the soundcard (to control the vst) and the line-out of keyboard with line-in of the soundcard. With this setup there is a high pitched whining noise coming from audio input, that vanish only when I unplug the MIDI cable.

I know that there are some older post about this argument, labeled as "USB ground loop" but I have two consideration about:

1) if I plug midi (via USB out of privia) and line to pc directly (without external soundcard) the problem persists.

2) If I use another keyboard (an old Roland) with exactly the same setup (with the USB soundcard), there is no noise and no humming at all!!

What can I do?

Is the Roland MIDI better shielded?

In any case, how can I get rid of this problem?

Thanks to all for the attention!

Bye!

I understand what you mean but I have 2 options (because my pc does not have an internal midi interface):

1) Use the USB soundcard (it has 2 line in 2 line out and MIDI-out, MIDI-in)

2) Connect directly the Privia with PC using USB cable

So there's no way to do it without USB cables...

I'll try to explain better the situation. The MIDI part is as you just told above. With this I have no noise in the monitor (or headphone). BUT if I plug (to the sound card line in) a cable from line-out of Casio I can hear a huge amount of noise in the monitor even with low volume and relatively low input gain!

I'll try to explain better the situation. The MIDI part is as you just told above. With this I have no noise in the monitor (or headphone). BUT if I plug (to the sound card line in) a cable from line-out of Casio I can hear a huge amount of noise in the monitor even with low volume and relatively low input gain!

On the PX are you using the mini-jack or the Line-Out jacks L/r ? and the USB on the PX is not plugged in? If this is so then again I say the noise is being caused by the USB soundcard and your PC's USB bus, NOT the PX. Until you sort the USB noise issue on your PC it will stay the same. What sound card are you using?

The noise is certainly a USB ground loop. I don't understand why this noise is so loud with this keyboard and not with the other one... maybe the line-out quality? For the other questions... the USB (Casio) is NOT plugged and I use the line-out (but I also tried with all other in/out with the same result) the soundcard is a Presonus Audiobox USB...