Video Files on Forum ×

Expression Pedal

Edward

On 8/4/2016 at 10:49 PM, stuartr said:

Received an MGEAR EX-P pedal. Felt that 14 pounds wouldnt break the bank. Wasnt expecting much , however  Im really blown away with the response Im getting from this little guy . 

Been playing around with various param settings on expression and it ticks all the boxes. No problems whatsoever. 

Cant see what I would get paying 4x more for a pedal. 

Glad to hear the recommendation. I do have that EX-P hooked up to my Alesis VX49 where it works as intended, and I will give it a try on my PX-560M. If it works great I might just spend another whopping € 15.30 at Thomann and get one more for the Casio.

I tried my other pedal, a Zoom FP02M, which is a no go. Seems highly logarithmic in response and useless with this instrument. Almost like an on/off switch rather than a smooth expression range.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 12:43 PM, FWBeck said:

Well I tried my Zoom FP02M and that's definitely no good with the PX-560M. Probably because it's logarithmic and its impedance is much higher than the manual recommended models. The volume cuts in very abruptly when increasing the pedal just past the first few millimeters, and the rest of the range makes almost no difference.

I will give my M-Audio EX-P a try and see if that works well. Supposedly it's linear and near the right impedance range. It works well on my Alesis keyboard controller and is quite affordable.

M-Audio EX-P seems to work well. From feedback I have been reading in other threads, the PX-560M is just a tad sensitive near the low end of the pedal range and velocities tend to come in a bit abruptly which hopefully gets further improved in the firmware.

• 2 months later...

I have found that the  expression pedal  is probIematic with the 560.    My EV -5 didn't work all.. So, I purchased a VOX V845...  and ran it thru a direct amp out of my guitar voice and there I got really loud awesome Jimmy Hendrix style wah sounds.   But, it doesn't work when run thru the controller/pedal choice/ cc expression. 

I purchased a yamaha  pedal that sort of works.. Has the TRS Jack...  It wahs... on some of the instruments but it is very soft...  and can't be turned up. 

I will try the EV-5 one more time... After that I have to consider that the 560 has other great qualities and expression pedal isn't it.  

I have listened to Martin's use of a pedal and it does sound great.  So, something else is going on here, that he isn't talking about. Like, extra amping from somewhere or extra powered monitors, or something. Because I never ever got that kind of response from using the assign jack and controller assigns for the pedal.  Even my Clavi 1 straight out of the box, doesn't sound like his.  So, maybe each unit sounds and works better and better as they come off of the assembly line.  I did see one of his demos where the expression actually didn't work..  I think I own one of those units.

Maybe one day they will put out an upgrade in the programming of this unit and make them perform like they tells they will.  and add a lot of the things the users have been asking for.  Or, I have a novel idea... How about Casio just make an expression pedal that works with it's keyboards...  Wow,,  what an idea.   Make one...

From some of the first ever watches and hand calculators to now dipping their feet in with the big boys on music, I think Casio could figure out how to make the correct and fabulous working Expression pedal...  That with program upgrades and they really have something here.

But, alas, it's already been what 5 years out with the 560 and no Expression Pedal by Casio..  What are you waiting for? 

I use the trio of pedals for keyboard sustain damper, they work just fine..  Hey Casio,,  be brave.... Make the expression pedal already and stop frustrating the owners of the 560.

1 hour ago, Landofpar said:

So, I purchased a VOX V845...  and ran it thru a direct amp out of my guitar voice and there I got really loud awesome Jimmy Hendrix style wah sounds.   But, it doesn't work when run thru the controller/pedal choice/ cc expression

VOX V845 is not an expression pedal for keyboards.  

I purchased a yamaha  pedal that sort of works.. Has the TRS Jack...  It wahs... on some of the instruments but it is very soft...  and can't be turned up. 

As I said earlier in this thread, Yamaha expression pedals won't work with the PX-560.  They do not meet the specifications required.

I did see one of his demos where the expression actually didn't work..  I think I own one of those units.

That was a faulty pedal.  It's possible that your EV-5 pedal is faulty.  As many others have confirmed, an EV-5 pedal should work with the PX-560. Another possibility is that you may have missed something in the setup process.  Carefully go through everything again.  Watch the videos and review this forum topic.  I can't think of anything we didn't already cover here.

• 4 weeks later...

Behringer FCB1010Hi everybody.
Did someone managed to make use of Behringer FCB1010 as a MIDI foot controller?

I'd like to have a second expression pedal in order to manage different sound parameters, by mean of sending a MIDI control change message to the PX-560.
I haven't found anything like a "MIDI Expression Pedal" on the market...

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2019 at 12:41 PM, Brad Saucier said:

As I said earlier in this thread, Yamaha expression pedals won't work with the PX-560.  They do not meet the specifications required.

I used a Yamaha S80 for many years and have two wonderful Yamaha expression pedals - unfortunately neither of them work. The talk about less than continuous transitions of expression between heel and toe makes me nervous about ordering the pedal on line so any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thanks, Brad - that's encouraging. I currently have firmware 1.5. Unfortunately the manual says nothing about how a firmware update is accomplished - when I tried "install" in the System Menu I got the message "No media." I apologize for asking such a newbie question but I'm not sure what else to do. Thanks to the group for their patience.

Eric

• 3 years later...
On 1/18/2023 at 11:20 PM, jerrygray said:

meticulously followed the simple steps. Nothing. 

Can you precisely detail what you have done? The expression pedal calibration, for example?

Even the manual on page 10 says "Operation has been verified for the pedals below. Roland EV-5: Set minimum volume to 0 (zero)."