Video Files on Forum ×

keyboard amp

Rocknrolldentist

I concur with the above--CPS (SpaceStation V3) sounds very good.  Even the pianos.  I still use a MKII at church, but the V3 is a huge improvement.  Via Sweetwater or CPS direct.  Pricey--but worth it.  And mine even came packed with a cover.  The kicker is that it weighs in at about twice as much as the PX-5S.  Incidentally, I've traditionally been a Kurzweil fan--but the PX-5S got me to open my wallet.  Cheers

Another vote for PA speakers.  I can't personally speak for the space station as I have never heard one but I see many positive comments online for it.  I personally use Alto Truesonic TS-110A for my PX-5S and I am happy with it.  However, they have since replaced that model with the next generation TS210.  Everything about the new model looks better on paper so I am really curious and may eventually go that direction.  

Hi Scott--thanks for the input.  I took my keyboard to guitar center and palyed it through several powered Pa amps-- The QSC and the Yamaha DXR12 and Behringer12 and I must say, they sounded boomey and boxey and not very clear.  If the 2 rolands wont deliver that sweet piano sound (because I will say it sounds great on all the electric pianos and extra voices) what, then do you suggest?

Get the QSC 8 or 10 inch versions or the EV ZLX 12 inch series. They all sound great. The Roland keyboard amp is IMO one of the worst possible amps for keyboards. Although it is provided around the world, I really hate playing through that amp.

The QSC 1000 watt powered speakers are awesome. I play through them all the time, if the ones you played through sounded boxy, either the EQ was screwed up on the PX-5S or something else was wrong. The PX-5S is great through the QSC or the EV. Crystal clear - not boxy.

The CPS seems awesome, but I have a feeling it doesn't have enough bass and that I would blow out the puny speakers. I don't know why I think that, except I do :-) No offense to Michael Boddicker! 

Ok--a lot of differing opinions here. I've adjusted my eq on the privia to be where my ear likes it--high on the treble end, lower on the mid and higher on the bass end. I am using the rock piano (which is bright like I like it to be) and the grand piano, which is dissappointing my ear, as it sounds dull and muted. At home I'm playing stereo through 2 M-Audiio Bx-5s, and it still doesnt reproduce what i'm hearing on line through my Mac. The search for a good piano reproduction has been going on for a long time for me---I love the privia but I'm ready to go oout and try some other stage pianos to see if I can get the sound I hear on your videos.  If you have any other advice, I'm all ears. please help.  I'd be willind to get the CPS and try it out if you think that would help......

You should be getting the same sound you hear in the PX-5s videos.  If you are using the rock piano and like it, that is fine because it is the same concert grand piano....only with some tweaks.   Have you tried some of the downloadable pianos?  Try Band Grand.  I made some EQ tweaks on it.  Also, are you a heavy handed player or light?  You can get to the brighter sounding dynamics easier by adjusting the system setting touch response to light.  

An interesting debate.

I only have the G1 as far as Casio's go (not a very dynamic piano sound to my ears and obviously not in the px's league), but I have other keys, and some nice pianos on my samplrers.

With these other instruments I have no trouble achieving a nice sound through either my JBL powered monitors, or even my ancient Celestion passive PA cabs. Both quite different mind, but both clear and sparkly with a solid low end.

Of course sound is quite subjective, however it seems odd that you could not find a pleasant sound through a selection of quality equipment. I would have been tempted to suggest that the PX just isn't the sound for you, however you state that the online PX demo's achieve what you seek.

It may be a tenuous suggestion, however, perhaps you could try another PX in a local store to see if you can tell any difference (it would be useful to take your own along for comparison). If you can tell a difference, perhaps some form of factory reset is in order?

>At home I'm playing stereo through 2 M-Audiio Bx-5s

OK, but are you also listening to your computer through those speakers? If so, it should sound identical. If not, very interesting.....

If you think about it, you already like the sound in the videos, so the sound IS in the PX-5S. So it's either the speakers (yes, the Roland amps are not good - sorry). Or something else.

Please do not feel offended by this video - I only mean to post it to show that, touch does affect a lot - along with voicings.

Why are the sounds different?

>i'm presently playing through 2 roland kc 350 amps in stereo--the pianos sound clangy and not very bright

You exactly described the tone of the KC series amps. Clangy, metallic and not very bright. 

Go to the music store, set yourself in the middle of two EV ZLXP or two QSC KSC8-12 speakers and plug directly into the speakers. You will absolutely love the sound. 

HI--You guys have all been great with your suggestions.  I WILL bring my px to the music store and try a new one and try the aforementioned amps. But before I do this, can anyone suggest preferred eq settings that I can try to make my pianos pop? Also, are there any slider settings I should be using--as of today i have slider 1 set on attack, slider2 set on resonance, and 3,4,5 set on delay, chorus and rreverb respectively.  Can or should these be changed to represent something better and more productive. I'm open to any suggestions--I've been playing keys for 40 years but the new equipment has me perplexed!!!   Thanks again.....

I believe the top 4 knobs on the PX-5S are EQ by default. If necessary, save your entire settings to USB, then load one of the default all files in this forum, go down to the store and tweak the 4 knobs (rightmost is highs I think).  Either that or press the Master button, go to EQ and adjust it for more highs and possibly more mids.

If you test the EV ZLX12p, then it has a DSP setting, where you can EQ the speaker.

If none of that works, the brightest piano sound is always in a Roland keyboard. Try any of the Roland stage pianos and you will hear the bright, cutting sound of their pianos. I don't like it, but I have heard it sound good in a band context. I was the second keyboard for Brian Culbertson and he cranked his Roland keyboard along with a lot more highs than I would use. Cut right through the band.