Video Files on Forum ×

PX560 saving songs from midi recorder

Jokeyman123

One more time....I am stumped again. How exactly do I save a song recorded with the midi recorder? I have transported mid files into the PX560 with the thumb drive, but according to the manual, I can save 100 songs. when I open the menu page where saved songs reside-I see only 5 slots that are not grayed out, the other empty grayed-out slots seem not to be accessible for saving any new work as a separate song. What am I not understanding with this process. I see how to save to the thumb drive, but directly into the PX, not clear to me. Manual?

Edited by Jokeyman123

I have had no problems importing MIDI songs into the PX-560. They are saved using the eight character DOS file name as the song name.

Re recording a song, you are supposed to give it a name before you hit record. The MIDI recorder will automatically save the song to the next available memory slot as you record it; there is no separate save step. If you didn't give a name when you used the recorder it is possible that many of those grayed out slots are from your previous recording attempts. The balance would be MIDI files you imported but they would have a name as I said above.

Ah, the truth revealed and shall set me free! There again something so transparent and obvious it went right by me. I am not used to a keyboard with this many features that streamlined so many steps, including this one. And right, all my imported midi files are named truncated to DOS which is fine and are already there. Almost every keyboard I've owned prompted me to name a file before I saved it. A little strange but then Casio does seem to like to do things a little differently sometimes.  Another speedbump removed. back to work! Thanks again AlenK!

:www.MessenTools.com-Frutas-pianodance:

I should elaborate. I was trying to explain why you had grayed out slots, but actually I didn't. The greyed out slots are empty memory slots. The PX-560 will only you show you those that fill the last page you have a saved a song to (i.e, there are 100 user slots but it won't show you all the free ones).

Pressing "New Data" on the MIDI recorder screen after hitting the record button will set you up to record a new song, which you already know. If you record that song without entering a name it will show up in the next available memory slot with the name "No Title." You can rename the song after you record it or before you start to record it. 

If you choose do it before, as is my habit, you must stop the recorder by hitting the play button, which then becomes the stop button, then hit that same button again. Then hit the bar with the song title, then hit the "User Data Edit" button. Hit Rename, then hit the last memory slot, which should be highlighted in red and edit the name. Hit Enter and select Yes. Hit Exit twice and you will be back in the MIDI Recorder screen.

Now, it is true that in the above procedure we technically stopped the recording process to change the song name. But since nothing was recorded yet in the slot there is no downside to doing so. You can now record as normal. I was a bit loose with my language when I said you are "supposed" to enter a song name first. You don't have to do it first. But you do have to name a song sometime if you don't want to see a lot of "No Title" songs in the user slots that you can't distinguish between without actually auditioning them. My habit is to name the song first because I might forget to do it immediately afterward. And I find that forcing myself to think up a name helps the creative process. 

Thank you for clarifying this further. I was still a little unclear and was completely in the dark re my song being automatically placed in a user memory slot whether I name it or not. What stopped me in my tracks (sorry, didn't intend the pun) was not realizing that and also  that my existing song, with title or no, still existed in the midi recorder window. this stumped me because I incorrectly assumed creating a new song would delete my existing work since that title was still selected in the midi recorder window when in fact it has already stored itself!  So to start a new multi-track sequence or song and start fresh with a new title etc. which should give me a new "no title" startup slot in the recorder window? , I guess I must "clear" the existing midi recorder tracks which again I'm guessing only clears the existing midi recorder song but not from the user memory slot? I wish this had been described more clearly in the manual but then what would we do with all that extra time?

:hitt:

(I shouldn't be up so late...)   

When you hit "New Data" what I believe actually happens is that the PX-560 switches to the next available empty user memory slot immediately. Since the slot is empty there is no MIDI data to worry about when you start recording. Everything you record after that will then be stored into that memory slot.

I am just guessing but it's possible that all the MIDI data you are recording goes more-or-less directly into the Flash memory while you are recording it, probably from a small RAM (random-access memory) as an intermediate buffer. Or possibly it is stored in a much larger RAM buffer as you are recording and then automatically written from there into the Flash the moment you stop recording. It all depends on how much of the no-doubt limited RAM in the machine the Casio engineers allocated to the MIDI recorder's buffer. 

This "new data" info you just supplied explains the final piece of this puzzle-I am so glad there are people on this forum that can clarify these very important details and yes it was late (and is early now) but these things keep me awake at night-part of the difficulty of being a compulsive perfectionist I suppose. Or just crazy!

from this,   :banghead:     to this,  :www.MessenTools.com-Frutas-pianodance:   is sometimes a long road!

How on earth or beyond did you figure all this out without the manual detailing these IMO vital facts? But then you are almost the entire knowledge base for the XW-P1, flattery intended. Now I can compose quickly and without having to spend alot of time through trial and error sussing all this out. After many hours trying to obtain the unobtainable with the PX350, the 560 is a major improvement, but again the manual seems inadequate to what this machine is capable of. It seems to cover most of the basics, but certainly could be clearer about stuff that matters, such as this topic. Time to compile some faqs, even after 2 years out I'd bet the 560 will fair better for having alot of this info available. and once more thanks again AlenK you are a true asset to this community. And Brad too.

I wouldn't give up hope on the manual yet.  I have found it very difficult to find actual omissions in them.  Every time I suspect they missed something, I usually find it.  Sometimes they don't quite translate things well enough or go into enough detail, but usually everything is there.  

Screenshot_2018-07-16-06-54-54.png

No, of course I didn't mean to disparage, the manual is very well designed for most uses and gets to the core functions-great to have a digital piano that has synth functions, a true full 17-track sequencer. For everything I've played before, this is no question one blockbuster keyboard. But maybe Casio needs to hire AlenK to create an addendum-seriously although he does this free of charge, Casio at least throw him a free PX! these details are important to get the full use out of this amazing instrument. This and an XW could cover any gig I've ever done, from solo to ensembles. After studying competitive products, including dedicated digital pianos and full workstations for this pricepoint there isn't anything else. Nords seem to be the big deal lately but at 2-3X the price- I've done the online listening comparisons with quality phones and for these and others-this is a great sounding acoustic piano period. Now back to work, I promise. and no more questions (at least today)    :hitt:       :waaah:    :beer:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

But maybe Casio needs to hire AlenK to create an addendum.

I'm actually available. I lost my job to downsizing a couple of months ago. But don't feel sorry for me. I ain't hurtin'. And the upside is, I should have more free time now for stuff like music. Theoretically, anyway. Do you have any idea how long my honey-do list is??? It's insane. (So don't get any ideas about how fast I could finally complete Volume 2 of the XW-P1 Companion. I still can't get much time on that puppy.)

Re manuals and such, I suspect the reality is that Casio Japan is calling the shots on that. You can tell by the sometimes odd language in the user's guides. If, for example, Casio US were allowed to do their own English-language versions, I'm sure someone like me would get a shot at it and there would probably be fewer complaints. Don't get me wrong. Casio Japan tries hard but they would do better to give the major regional divisions a little autonomy in this regard. 

Or-an ebook if Casio USA would give permission for you or any of us to publish-along the lines of many of the excellent prior tutorial books I and others have read over the years-David Crombie comes to mind who had one of the earliest books on the subject of synthesizers-and of course Craig Anderton of Electronic Musician magazine as well as others. I am thinking very specifically about your XW-P1 work which although you've generously given it to us as a gift to members here, might certainly sell in hard-copy or as an ebook. I learned much about synthesis sound design from 3rd-party books about the CZs years ago and likewise FM from people outside the official Yamaha channels.

I am not fluent in Japanese (my father was) but I've often wished I were so as to directly communicate with the many Japanese techs who must be quite knowledgable re any of the technical music developments that are being used professionally. educationally and as hobbyists. I've had several pieces of equipment (not Casio) that had I been able to access someone like this, could have put that piece back into working order, instead of adding to the already burgeoning landfill of old electronics.