Video Files on Forum ×

CZ patches recreated on the XW series

Has anyone tried recreating a CZ patch on the XW -p1 or G1?

I have never owned the CZ series of synths so I am curious  if someone has successfully done this.

if you have, I'd love to read what the end result was. I really like the CZ line but wouldnt have clue one as to how to go about making  a CZ patch using the CZ waves in the XW.

• Like 1

The problem with trying to recreate CZ sounds with the XW's is that the XW uses a completely different sound generation format (Hybrid Processing Sound Source). What makes the CZ's so distinctive is their 8 stage envelopes and also the CZ style "resonant" wave forms as part of Phase Distortion synthesis. The XW's have onboard CZ 'waves', but they don't have the same sound generation parameters to modify the sound as with Phase Distortion.

Of course, a good sound programmer who understands both CZ and XW sound engines can get close, but it won't be easy. One of the special things about the CZ's is their unique sonic pallette that means no other synth sounds quite like them. In some respects, an XW is similar as it too has a unique sound (HPSS), albeit a lot more flexible and wider ranging than the CZ's. However, HPSS is why XW's sound like XW's and not CZ's.

The closest I ever got to making my XW-G1 sound like a CZ was when I sampled one of the CZ patches direct from the CZ! It works for a more simple raw CZ wave, but anything using more complex/ evolving envelopes is not going to transfer as well just by sampling. That's when you have to try and replicate the CZ's PD signal path using the different HPSS system in the XW.

To be honest, you're probably better off getting a CZ DAW (I have Virtual CZ) or finding an original CZ itself if you want an easy way of have CZ sounds.

• Like 1

Just an idea from an old CZ programmer-get 1-2 of the original programming books written for the CZs-these are all over amazon and eBay-and study how some of these sounds are created.  But yes as Chas has already made clear-unless you can play with 8-stage envelopes for filters, amps and I recall one had a ring modulator, it will be hard to create some of the more distinctive sounds the CZs are capable of. I'd posted somewhere here before about a small-spiral bound softcover book I purchased years ago, amazing book for the CZs-it even had programs to create some pretty amazing sample-type sounds-car crashes, sonic booms, sirens and other things one wouldn't think possible on an older Casio. If i locate one online I'll post a link to it here. Meanwhile here is a free .pdf version of another book I used to learn phase distortion synthesis...

http://thesnowfields.com/manuals/An Insider's Guide to Casio CZ Synthesizers.pdf

But this is not the book I am referring to, still looking.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, XW-Addict said:

I was wondering what are the most known CZ sound or patches that triggers an instant recognition 😶

I do have the CZ app which have the preset but do not feel like those are the ones that made the CZ famous.  

You might have to join to see the posts, however, this very subject was discussed recently in the CZ Facebook Group. There are quite a few famous songs that used the CZ, and it turns out that its organ patches were popular among many rave music composers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/casio.cz/permalink/2000709346671230/

I have that very book on my iPad. So a scan of it is out there somewhere on the Interwebs; you just have to find it. (No, I don't remember where I got it and no, I won't send you a copy, the latter because I'm not sure that wherever I found it was supposed to have it.)

PS. But I did find these: http://warningwillrobinson.com.au/manuals/Casio CZ series Sound Data Book.pdf and http://thesnowfields.com/manuals/An Insider's Guide to Casio CZ Synthesizers.pdf.  Now, if you go poking around those sites you might find some other useful things. Just sayin'. 

The EZ-CZ guys are the same ones who created and manufactured the EZ=CZ cartridges. And yes the sound data book here is one of the books that came new with my Casios. This will give anyone a good idea of the capabilities of the CZs. That and a good EZ-CZ cartridgecollection should keep anyone busy for a few hours or months depending. I had 3 and were not expensive at the time. cost alot less new than the selling prices I see now on eBoo.

• Like 1