Video Files on Forum ×

Usage as a midi synth - 16 part multitimbral, sound programming

BlackTea

Dear users,

I consider buying PX 560, please can you answer this question?  

1) Can PX 560 be used as a "standard" 16 part multi timbral synth controlled through midi? Or is it 16 really? More/less?:-)

In other words can I use it as midi device which is controlled by DAW - i.e. receiving midi channels + playing 16 tracks (at the same time) of user created sounds?

2) If you are a sound programmer, does it work like a standard synth? I.e. can you create a sound from scratch? Chose waveforms, filter type, modulation, envelopes? There is not so much about this topic on youtube so I am asking.

Regards,

Adam

I just purchased one a few weeks ago, and I've had many synths/workstations/arranger keyboards and the PX560 is bloody marvelous.

Brad is the expert here-if you study the tutorials and out posts, it goes way beyond the manual. There are a few very handy shortcuts that are not really described in the manual. I have never been able to create music faster on any keyboard than on this one. if you get stuck study the posts here, alot of those shortcuts and things not explained well in the manual are here in these posts-I know, I've pestered Brad no end, but consequently have been able to use the synth programming features, create a bunch of original hex layers and original tones-I've recorded several multi-track compositions on it all within a few weeks. it's a dream to work with once you learn your way around it-and it sounds fantastic. Grab some good midi files from the Internet, (I've been listening to some of my old "Weather Report" midifiles and several jazz compositions as well as several classical pieces-load them onto your thumb drive and listen through the PX through the speakers or headphones. Thanks again Brad! And there are several others here who are also very knowledgeable and very willing to help. So if you do purchase one, you will have many here to assist you, including me. and less this sounds like a

Casio commercial, I do not work for Casio. I am just a "poor" independent musician, and i want to keep it that way!:waaah:

• Like 1

Hello, thank you both. I came across other topics I would like to ask users here to clarify: 

1) USB AUDIO - can PX 560 render audio file directly into computer using USB? DIGITAL to DIGITAL? I mean if you have for example a song saved in px 560 but you would work with the audio file representing a particular track in your DAW, can you do this without need to record audio from PX 560 audio output? 

2) MIDI recorder - what this can actually do? I have read somewhere that it is just a basic tool for recording tracks. Are there any other in depth editing options? Like copy/paste certain measures, transpose, humanize, piano roll etc...? And can this be for example addressed by some later firmware update? 

Adam

USB audio-whatever you record using the audio recorder is saved as a standard .wav file in your thumb drive-thumb drive into computer, .wav can now be edited as you would any wav file-since the audio recorder can only record one audio track you of course will end up with only that track to edit. The midi recorder is just that-and it is fairly comprehensive for a digital piano, although not quite as "deep" or complex as some workstation keyboards or computer midi recording and editing programs. . You would use it to create a midi composition, recording only data, not audio and it will be saved either as a .smf (midi) file or a proprietary Casio file, again on your thumb drive so you can edit it with any computer software editor. It also allows you to download an smf midi file from the Internet, store it on your thumb drive and play it on the PX560 with the PX560 sounds. I already have hundreds of midi files on my thumb drive, for listening and studying.these don't take up much data space, so even with a small thumb drive you can save many midi files or your own creations.  It is actually a 17-track recorder-there is a master track that records not only one track of your live playing using any tone-it also records information specific to your new multi-track composition such as time signature, tempo setting and all your mixer settings-pan, volume and more. Now you have an additional 16 "discrete" tracks to record whatever tones you want-with 256-note polyphony you can record some pretty complex music if you want to. and yes there is quantize editing for timing, add and delete measures or tracks, most of the things I use when composing with the PX560.   I suggest you download the manual and the addendum here......

https://support.casio.com/en/manual/manualfile.php?cid=008017041

and I'm sure Brad who is an administrator here can fill you in on anything for this and any Casio keyboard. Plenty of excellent support here.