Video Files on Forum ×

PX560 midi A, B and C question

Jokeyman123

Just when I thought I had no more questions......

Instead of recording track one with the midi recorder switched to track C midi channels, I accidentally recorded track one with midi channel B-at least that's what shows up when I play back my tracks and monitor the volume levels. I understand how I did that (I think!)  All my other tracks are recorded to C, I get how that works and how I need to always make sure I switch to track C before I record a multi-track piece with the midi recorder, although apparently I can record tracks to the B tracks too.  I understand midi A assigns tracks for use with the auto-arranger tracks and B is used for recording external midi equipment connected to the midi port. I have that chart Brad posted showing how these are all routed.

What I am missing-how to I delete track one I accidentally recorded using B settings? I switch to B using the mixer, go to the edit functions but it always seems to revert to the C tracks for editing-deleting, quantize etc. I am obviously missing some step in the process. All I managed was to take the volume down to zero in the mixer settings for midi channel B settings but i can't seem to dlete the track. Brad?...or anyone else who knows what I am failing to see. Does this have to do with how I set the midi channel in setting in the midi screen-which I can set to A, B or C?

This is a pleasingly "deep" instrument, especially considering it's only supposed to be a digital piano! I will be posting an arrangement I've created within a day or 2.  Thanks.

OK, I understand all that. Now how do I delete my performance in track one, from the "B" setting that I accidentally recorded? In other words, if you were to look at the volume bars monitoring playback through the various tracks, from within A, B and C, I have one track in the "B" window setting that I recorded, as part of the multi-track recording which I used only the "C" tracks and I want to delete that track only. I can't seem to get it to delete, even if i set the mixer setting to "B" and enter edit. what am I doing wrong? when I am in the "edit" window, strangely I see a small letter "A" in the left lower screen, even though I have the mixer showing the tracks I recorded from within the "C" mixer settings. It seems that I can record to the A, B or C midi tracks live from the keyboard, but I just need to know how to go from one to the other to edit either the A, B or C parts-not including of course the auto-accompaniment parts which are "hard-wired" and can't be edited (I think).

No bug-I deleted the system track and that deleted the piano I recorded on port B, which is described in the port B mixer screen as track one. OK...

Technically speaking, I could in a way use the system track as a simple one-track overdub track deliberately? For example record my piano track in the system track, with my tempo and other mixer settings which will now be a part of that track, then use track one  with port C selected from the mixer screen to record a 2nd piano track along with the system track? Not really necessary of course, but helps me understand what is happening. And in order to record something externally connected to the midi din port-say a midi file playing from my laptop-I set the midi in setting to port B, and now I will be monitoring (seeing the volume bars) anything I record with the mixer as my external midi file is playing and I also have to change the mixer to port B in order to adjust the settings for those 16 channels-this is pretty wild stuff-32 tracks and there are another 16 tracks on port A. One more thing sir-as Columbo says-anytime I am playing the keyboard live-it will either record to port A mixer settings (if I am using auto-accompaniment) or port C if I am using the midi recorder, is that correct? sorry for the long post, but at this point the PX560 is my go-to board, even though I have quite a few others here.

It's not possible to record midi inputs to the sequencers.  Again, the port that is used for tracks can't be changed.  In other words, you are picking a track to record to, not a mixer port or even a mixer part. The recorded tracks will playback on the port and parts as designated in the chart.  You only need to know what can be recorded to each type of track.

System track is for upper/lower splits and layers along with auto harmonize and chords played along with auto accompaniment buttons presses, registration changes, etc..  They are all recorded to that single track. 

Solo tracks records only the tone selected for upper 1.

So essentially in addition to the 16 tracks I am using for midi sequencer record-every time I select one of the upper or lower tones from the main menu where one selects tones, it will automatically place that recorded track in the port designated by the chart as long as I have selected the system track.  But I can't record all 4 upper and lower parts in the system track separately right? It will record whatever combination I have active in the main menu screen-up to 4 layers in other words but only in the one recorded system track pass. There is some complexity here but this is pretty powerful-in other words, I could record 2,3 or 4 hex layers...simultaneously...in the system track? I know, I push my equipment!

One more thing! The chart describes the "unused" tracks for midi in performance data. Can you give me an example of what that might be? Are these tracks set aside for cc and the 3-knob controller, expression pedal or other external gear-such as a 2nd controller keyboard or surface?  I know the XW is designed a bit like this. If this is correct-this would be a very powerful source of real-time changes with the right external setup. I could control volume of all 6 hex layers in real time with the right external controller and cc and midi channel assignments.

Got it, Brad you are indispensable, thank you1 I am posting a first composition here, a little rough but used many of the concepts you've stepped me through. My chops need work, but...this was amazing fun to put together-and the sound quality, I'm blown away, the fidelity is incredible. I could even hear Leslie "artifacts" when I listened carefully through my good cans-like the sounds in a real Leslie coming through from the tone wheels or the rotating speakers-I thought it was my imagination-but I don't think it is.  That my friend, is pretty amazing.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Made me think of something else I haven't tried yet with the PX560. Yes you can record 16 midi tracks, record all that with the audio recorder-but now I'm wondering-will the audio track be in sync if I play both back at the same time? Can I play both back at the same time? I've never tried, I will now....because if that is possible-will be able to record on the midi recorder while playing back the audio recorder-thus will be able to in a sense-"overdub". Hmmm....